This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Going abroad can undoubtedly be one of the best experiences about college. If you’ve gone, are there now or are thinking of going you know that this is an awesome opportunity. On the other hand, you know this will be a time away from your ride or dies and your constant communication with them just won’t be at the same level. It doesn’t matter if it’s a country, an ocean, a time zone or a continent between you, things are going to change the moment you and your best friends aren’t in the same mile radius. Although you may not be able to text back and forth like there’s no tomorrow, here are some fun alternatives to keep your friendships as close as ever.

• Pen pals. Yes, this does require manual labor including buying envelopes, stamps and paper, but who doesn’t love getting a tangible, handwritten letter?! Writing to your girls is a great way to let them know you’re thinking of them. You can also stick pictures in the envelope to add a super nostalgic, personal touch. Don’t forget to add your return address because let’s be real: snail mail never goes out of style

• Weekly Skype date. An entire semester is long — so long that you can forget how your best friend’s hair looks long! Therefore, pencil a weekly Skype date into your agenda. This way, you can count down the weekdays until you can be virtually reunited. 

• Tag away. Considering we are constantly all on Instagram, Snapchat and apps a like there is bound to be a post that you think your BFFs would laugh out loud at. Comment their username and tag them in that hysterical Buzzfeed video. It’s the perfect way to say you miss them without actually saying anything. 

• Email. It’s not like we aren’t sending a million emails to professors or club boards all day anyway. Emails are a fast, cheap and super easy way to keep in touch with anyone farther than walking distance away. Start a thread with your girls and you’ll be surprised at how exciting it is to get an email from someone other than someone you have to refer to as “Professor.” 

• PackagesIf you’re feeling extra generous or there’s a big birthday that you can’t spend with your girl, send a little package oversea. It’s the thought that counts and it’ll mean so much to your jet-setter. 

Julie is a junior at Connecticut College from Montclair, New Jersey studying dance and psychology. She loves to share her passion for food with friends and family and has been on a life long quest to find the world's best slice of pizza. In her free time, Julie enjoys yoga and hopes to one day become a certified yoga instructor. 
Her Campus Conn Coll