Life > Academics

“How To”: Starting (or Getting Back Into) a College Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

After a summer full of fun adventures, friends, and hardly any worries, it’s been pretty hard getting back into the swing of things on campus. However, our Her Campus members are here to help! Here are a few tips on getting back into the college routine:

Returning to school and following a new class schedule every semester is hard, but I’ve kept myself organized by relying on the trusty Google Calendar. Make sure you put your classes,  repeating meetings, and activities in your weekly agenda so you can visualize the time you have throughout the day. I recommend actually putting in specific events/tasks each day and labeling them “History HW,” “Write HC article,” or “Workout,”  to give yourself a set time to complete your assignments and stay on top of your to-do list. 

For anyone looking to become more involved and meet more people on campus, don’t be afraid to join clubs and reach out to other students! If you join clubs and talk to people in your classes, you’re likely to find people with similar interests. Invite others to go to club meetings with you, ask a classmate to sit in a coffee shop or get lunch after class, and try to make a small study group (which often can just turn into a “sit and gossip” group) with a few people in each class!

• Maria Sell ‘23 

I’m very new to the whole college thing, but I’ve found that designating a day or time per week- usually Sunday works best for me- to do laundry, take out trash, do any dishes, re organize, plan out your week, and anything else you need to feel ready for what’s ahead helps me stay organized and consistent! 

• Caroline Snyder ‘26
Maria Sell

Conn Coll '23

Maria (she/her/hers) is a senior at Connecticut College studying American Studies and Sociology and is from the San Francisco Bay Area. She loves getting to play on the Women's Water Polo Team with her teammates here and enjoys reading, baking, and coaching water polo outside of school!