Have Fun in the Sun: Tanning and Keeping Your Skin Safe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Lately it’s been hard to stay focused with this beautiful warm weather. Just the thought of skipping class to spend the day outside on temple green is so tempting! However, the amount of bare skin seen on the green should remind you to take great precaution and always protect your skin in the sun. Here are some important facts and tips you should know in order to prevent damage to your lovely “sun-kissed” skin:

1)  Say “No” to Tanning Beds

No one would should ever put their health in jeopardy, especially not for the sake of achieving tan skin. Researchers claim that tanning beds are one of the most dangerous forms of cancer-causing radiation. In fact, using tanning beds at a young age puts you more at risk for melanoma, the deadliest form of cancer. Even going to the tanning bed once a month can increase your risk of cancer by 75%. Is having tan skin really worth the risk? Remember, if you are tanning outside, always use sunscreen!

2)  Spray Tans

If you care about your health and choose not to use tanning beds, there are still ways in which you can achieve a great tan without the harmful side-effects, such as spray tans! Of course there are many mixed beliefs that spray tans can make you look “orange” or feel “sticky”. Yes, sometimes those beliefs can be true – however, researching a well-known brand of self-spray tanners or going to a reputable spray tan salon can give you great results without damaging your skin.

2)  Sunscreen

Whether you think you need it or not, using sunscreen is incredibly important! We all know how painful sunburns can be and even though they may turn tan, the unseen damage to your skin can be very dangerous. Take the time to apply a liberal amount of sunscreen at least 20 minutes prior to heading outdoors. You should always re-apply sunscreen after two hours within the sun. Generally you should use a sunscreen that has an SPF of at least 15. Don’t forget to put sunscreen on your face! Obviously the skin there is very delicate and always needs sunscreen too.

3)  Hats & Sunglasses

Despite wearing sunscreen, it is still important to protect the top of your head and eyes. Make sure to use a pair of sunglasses that have UV protection. Without them, UV radiation from the sun can cause damage not only to your eyelids, but cornea, lens and other parts of the eye as well. Use this as an opportunity to look stylin’ with a cute hat and cool shades ;)

photo source: http://i.istockimg.com/file_thumbview_approve/16774589/2/stock-illustration-16774589-sun-protection.jpg

Danielle is a sophomore at Connecticut College and is currently pursuing a double-major in International Relations and Middle Eastern Studies. Danielle began writing for the Connecticut College branch of Her Campus in the fall of 2011 and will continue to write this year as Editor and Campus Correspondent. Danielle has traveled all over the world and continues her love for other cultures and languages through her studies. Besides traveling, she loves to sing and dance - especially as a member of Miss Connduct, an all-female A capella group at Connecticut College. In general, Danielle loves sushi, goats, traveling, and Star Wars/Lord of the Rings. She is thrilled to be working with Her Campus this year!
Elyse Lebel is a senior at Connecticut College majoring in Psychology and Sociology. Studying abroad her spring semester in Copenhagen, Denmark, she loves to travel and learn about different cultures. As co-founder of the Her Campus branch at her school, Elyse has a strong passion and interest in writing, communications, and fashion. This summer, Elyse interned at Teen Voices, a non-profit magazine based in Boston, and is excited to continue to gain experience in online publication with the HC team!