This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Each week, I will contribute an article to my food column: College Cooking, where I will share recipes and opinions on food trends and culture. To see more of what I like to cook and bake, check out my personal food Instagram at @healthy_eclair

With the drop in temperature during the winter months, hot drinks are my go-to guilty pleasure while I tap away at my laptop and go to Zoom classes. Whether you like tea or coffee, or just want something chocolatey and sweet, the following quick and simple recipes will satisfy any craving you have this holiday season.

The basic cup of tea

Last spring, I got into the habit of making myself a cup of tea every afternoon as a little boost of energy. During the colder months, this routine definitely comes in clutch. I often go for a classic peppermint tea, but you could really sip on any tea of your choosing––maybe even try this Maple Espresso Black Tea combo from Trader Joe’s for an extra kick.

For a fancier cup of chai

If you have extra time (or need a longer break from staring at your computer screen), I recommend making your own chai latte. This recipe from Real Simple is quick and easy. All you need is a mixture of spices, milk of your choosing, and black tea. While buying a chai latte from your favorite local coffee shop is always a treat, replicating this drink at home can save some money for those holiday gifts ;).

If you need more of a caffeine boost

Speaking of making your own latte at home, why not make a homemade peppermint mocha latte? This recipe by Kelly at Like Made Sweeter is just as quick and requires milk of your choosing, unsweetened cocoa powder, brewed espresso or strong coffee, peppermint syrup, whipped cream, and peppermint candies or chocolate for garnish.

Easy microwave hot cocoa

This microwave hot cocoa by Wendy and Jess of Food Heaven is so quick and just as delicious. All you need is milk, unsweetened hot cocoa powder, and any sweetener of choice. Of course, you can get fancy with your toppings and add whipped cream, marshmallows, or a candy cane!

What are your go-to holiday drinks? Share them with us or send us a photo of one of these four recipes and we will post it on our Instagram!

Elizabeth Berry

Conn Coll '21

Elizabeth Berry is an English and Italian Studies double major at Connecticut College with a passion for journalism. She enjoys overnight oats, traveling to new cities, and reading the night away.