The Flu Virus on College Campuses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Since we are college students living in dorms with hundreds of other students, we are at high risk for coming down with the flu. As a result, in these winter months, we are strongly encouraged to receive the flu shot. However, many of us still do not know the basics about the flu. Fortunately, Mrs. Mary Smolskis, Oversight Manager of the Division of Clinical Research, informs us about this common virus that’s popular this year. She began by providing this useful diagram from the NIAID website. She states how that it conveys the effectiveness of the flu vaccine:

Community Immunity (“Herd” Immunity)

Vaccines can prevent outbreaks of disease and save lives. When a critical portion of a community is immunized against a contagious disease, most members of the community are protected against that disease because there is little opportunity for an outbreak. Even those who are not eligible for certain vaccines—such as infants, pregnant women, or immunocompromised individuals—get some protection because the spread of contagious disease is contained. This is known as “community immunity.”

In the illustration below, the top box depicts a community in which no one is immunized and an outbreak occurs. In the middle box, some of the population is immunized but not enough to confer community immunity. In the bottom box, a critical portion of the population is immunized, protecting most community members.

The principle of community immunity applies to control of a variety of contagious diseases, including influenza, measles, mumps, rotavirus, and pneumococcal disease.

Below is my interview of Mrs. Smolskis, where she provides further information by answering questions regarding the flu, specifically on college campuses:

How susceptible are college-aged students to the flu in comparison to older and younger people?  The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that 5 to 20% of Americans get flu during flu season.  Children are two to three times more likely than adults to get sick with the flu and children typically spread the flu to others.  The elderly, newborn and people with certain chronic illenesses are much more susceptible to the life-threatening complications of flu.  Although healthy college age students are less susceptible to the severe complications, they are not any less susceptible to coming down with the flu.

In what ways does the campus environment increase the spread of the virus?  As indicated in the schema above, the close “community” of a college campus, just like any school creates an environment for the spread of flu.  Also, with the US flu season lasting typically from October to March, and students being in school during this time, there is a high probability for the spread of the virus.

What steps should students take to avoid catching the flu and spreading it to others after it is caught?  The number one priority should be to revieve the Flu vaccine.  The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that people get immunized as soon as the flu vaccine becomes available in their community. Flu vaccine is produced by private manufacturers, so availability depends on when production is completed. Shipments usually begin in August and continue throughout September and October until all vaccine is distributed. Influenza seasons are unpredictable and can begin as early as October. Usually, seasonal flu activity peaks in January or February.

It takes about two weeks after vaccination for antibodies to develop that will provide protection against the flu. In the meantime, you are still at risk for getting the flu. For this reason, it’s best to get vaccinated early in the fall, before the flu season really gets under way.

Take everyday prevention actions to stop the spread of germs:

• Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw away the tissue after you use it.
  • Wash your hands often with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand rub.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
  • Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
  • Stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone, except to get medical care or for other necessities if you are sick with flu-like ilness.
  • Limit your contact with others as much as possible to keep from infecting them while you’re sick.

What are symptoms that distinguish the flu from the common cold?  The most familiar aspect of the flu is the way it can “knock you off your feet”. Need more information? See here.

When should students visit the health center?  Most people with the flu recover on their own without medical care or antiviral drugs. People with mild cases of the flu should stay home and avoid contact with others, except to get medical care.  Certain symptoms of the flu may signal an emergency and should be addressed by a medical professional: difficulty breathing or shortness of breath, pain or pressure in the chest or adomen, sudden dizziness, confusion, severe or persistent vomiting.

People who are at greater risk of serious flu-related complications including young children, elderly people, pregnant women, and people with certain medical conditions—should contact a healthcare provider if flu symptoms develop. See here for specific examples of complications

Annie Rusk

Conn Coll

Her Campus Conn Coll