Dancing Through a Pandemic: A Reflection from a College Dance Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

At the beginning of 2020, I was taking dance classes, choreographing for a showcase, preparing for a recital, and performing in a musical. After 15 years of dance, it had enveloped my life in a way no other activity could. Needless to say, I was devastated and shocked when the Pandemic hit and studios were forced to close. 

As soon as March 13 struck, there was a scramble. Classes moved online, performances were pushed back, and most things came to a halt. I became incredibly bored once deprived of the constant movement I was used to, so I made it my mission to find as many dance opportunities as I could. Luckily, there was no shortage of resources. Online classes were constantly available, live-streamed on platforms such as Instagram, Facebook, and Zoom. 

Virtual dancing kept me satisfied for most of quarantine, but nothing could compare to being in an actual studio, turning and jumping on an actual dance floor. There was only so much moving I could do in my carpeted living room. 

Therefore, I was super excited to be able to register for in-person dance classes this semester. So far, I am incredibly impressed with how Connecticut College is handling the transition back to the studio. Here’s what’s been going on:

Conn Coll Dance Department

This fall semester, I am taking two movement-based courses. One is my first-year seminar, titled Performing Citizenship, and the other is a more traditional dance class called Movement Techniques II. To be completely honest, the first two weeks of the semester, when we were learning remotely from our dorm rooms, were not very fun. The combination of bad WiFi with little to no room to move around made it hard to enjoy the insightful instruction that my professor was giving. And by the end of onboarding quarantine, I was dying to get in the studio. 

Finally, the two-week mark hit, and I made my way to the second floor of Cro to begin my first ever in-person class at Conn. I was greeted with the most elaborate and innovative setup I’ve seen since quarantine began. Each dance studio has multiple cameras, computers, and projections in the front, allowing those who are studying remotely to join in, see everything that’s happening, and feel like they’re actually in the studio. So far, there have been little technical issues. 

Each studio floor currently consists of many squares outlined in tape. When a dancer enters the studio, they pick a square in which they will dance for the whole class. Each square is spaced out from the others and big enough to move in. Although it is not quite the same as it would have been in a non-pandemic year, this setup makes the best of the situation. With a lot of ventilation as well, I always feel completely safe in the studio.

Each dancer’s square also corresponds to a smaller, taped-out, square on the outside of the room where the student can put their belongings. After the class, everyone gets their own disinfectant spray bottle to spray down their areas with. Then, the studio is given at least 30 minutes to air out. This process ensures that every surface touched in the studio is clean and safe before the next class arrives.

Overall, I am incredibly impressed with how the dance faculty at Conn handled the transition back to in-person classes. This college is filled to the brim with passion and intelligence, and it shows in every aspect of life. I can’t wait to continue working with the dance department for the next four years.

Additional Resources

Are you a dancer who is still quarantining and looking to supplement your dance education? Are you someone who’s always wanted to try dance and now has the time to start? Here is a collection of resources I have found—and have been using—during this crazy time. 

Dancing Alone Together

Dancing Alone Together is a completely free resource with the mission of collecting information about online dance opportunities and making them easily accessible during this time of social distancing. This website and Instagram page compile extensive lists of live-streamed classes on every platform, dance films and performances available online, and prompts meant to spark creativity and choreography. Each list is updated frequently, and there’s even a way to submit an upcoming class to share it with the dance community. There is a whole lot to explore on this site, and I would highly recommend this resource to dancers of any level and anyone else who is interested in any dance style. 

CLI Studios

CLI Studios is a dance company based in LA that specializes in online dance education available to students and teachers all around the world. Over quarantine, the studio brought in some of the biggest names in dance and choreography to teach live workshops and classes. Featured events have included an eight-week summer experience and a beginner’s workshop. For only $99, dancers can get a year’s access to the online library of over 800 classes in every dance style imaginable, as well as access to events and other opportunities. The studio also offers a variety of live community classes for free. These classes are typically advertised on the Instagram page. Overall, I would generally recommend this resource to more experienced dancers who are particularly interested in more commercial styles of dance, but there’s something here for everyone of every level. 

Break the Floor Live

Break the Floor Live is an online platform and the newest addition to Break the Floor Productions, one of the most well known dance entertainment companies in the industry. This website hosts virtual events like dance conventions and competitions for differing prices. I would recommend this resource to more experienced dancers who are looking to supplement a lost competition season, as well as anyone looking for a challenge.  

I hope these resources help and hope that everyone is able to find a way to keep dancing in a safe and creative way, just like I have here at Conn. 

Lara is a senior at Connecticut College, where she is pursuing a double major in environmental studies and economics with a minor in dance. Her interests include choreography, sustainability, the performing arts, and conservation.
Her Campus Conn Coll