This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

We are officially one month from the half marathon, and I wish I could say that during the article gap we were training, but we weren’t. Kate had to drop out of training due to general disinterest and better things to do. Without the accountability of Kate, Laura gave up training completely after spending too much money on running gear. Until, Laura was reminded that she paid to attend the half marathon and needed to start training….

So hi, Laura here! Four weeks ago, I resumed my training after over a month off. Luckily, when there’s a deadline, motivation to run is significantly higher. My current plan revolves around running every other day with one long run a week. 

Week one of training was consistent and things looked promising. Although I was only running four miles top, at least I ran four times that week. 

Week two of training was less consistent, but I ran five miles for the first time in my life! And honestly, I felt good. My mentality about running had improved and my speed was picking up. 

Week three was rough…. The first day I only managed to run about .8 miles slowly… and the original motivation to keep going was dying. Second day, though, was great! I ran seven miles consistently, and I felt okay. I had pumped myself with preworkout and coffee, so it was assisted, but done.

If I have learned anything during this training, it’s that running is bad for your body. I woke up after those seven miles with shaking legs and pain in my knees that stopped me from walking. I hadn’t injured myself, but my body was not built for running. I was built to walk. Training for this has proved my middle school claims that I was not designed to run. Due to this inability to run, I was forced to take a break. Forced in the sense that I hoped my pain would last forever so I never had to run again… but week four came incredibly quickly.  

Week four had one mile-and-a-half run. One. Monday night I set out to run 3 miles on the track. After being lapped for the third time by a teenaged boy, I gave up at a mile-and-a-half. I didn’t run again that week. Call it embarrassment or discouragement, I called it a lot of things to convince myself it was fine to take the week off. Unfortunately, I had to be on schedule. If I skipped a long run, I would have to add extra miles to the next week. So on Sunday afternoon, I suited up in my chunky running shoes ,and my least favorite running outfit, and headed out. Eight miles to complete, after a week off… I did it, but at what cost? Tears were shed and boyfriends were called during this run. Necklaces were lost and any remaining motivation evaporated. I have never regretted signing up for something more. 

This week, I take on 9 miles. Wish me luck! (;

Laura Martin

Conn Coll '25

I am a woman of few hobbies, but I am always up to talk about dogs, cereal, and stomach issues!