This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Greetings from Earth House! In my humble abode, I chef up a storm. What is it that they say? Ah! Yes, “baking is a science, but cooking is an art.” In that case, call me Picasso because this girl’s kitchen is her studio. In the spirit of sharing, please see my favorite recipes from this week below. I hope you do try some. Enjoy!!

Fried Rice, minus the rice: 

Perks: As your resident GI struggler, this meal is a stunning success. The ginger adds a touch of spice while comforting the moping of my digestion. Additionally, this meal comes together within 10 minutes! Super easy when you’re in a pinch. 

Ingredients

• Broccoli (cut into florets)
  • Cherry tomatoes (halved)
  • Red onion (diced)
  • 3 candied ginger strips (cut into slivers)
  • 2 eggs
  • Tahini
  • Soy sauce/Tamari
  • Garlic powder
  • Onion powder
  • Salt & Pepper

Recipe Notes

In terms of measurements, rely on the heart! I did equal amounts of each vegetable, a few shakes of the seasonings, and about 1 tbs of the Tahini and Soy Sauce. Precise, I know. If using white onions, I would scale back a bit, as I find white onions to have a much more robust profile than red onions.  

Directions 

I started by sauteing the vegetables in some neutral oil (I used vegetable), and added the eggs in. Alternatively, you could mix the eggs in with the vegetables beforehand and Sautee both together. About halfway through the cooking time, I sprinkled in my seasonings. I prefer to season midway through cooking time to utilize the flavors and give them plenty of time to interact with the food. I then drizzled the Tahini and Soy on top which created the perfect dressing for the bowl. Should you want a more established Tahini dressing, a classic TGSS (Tahini, garlic, Soy/Tamari, sriracha) [I’m way into acronyms] always does the trick for me. 

Rice and Egg Bowl:

Perks: If you are a meal prep aficionado, like yours truly, this meal is a breeze. Even if you’re not a meal prepper this bowl comes together quickly, perfect for the busy lives of us Camels. I used long-grain brown rice, as I prefer the taste and the whole grains, but you do you boo, and use whichever rice or grain your little heart desires.  

Ingredients

• ½ cup brown rice 
  • ¼ cup Edamame beans 
  • 2 eggs 
  • Seaweed packet (don’t knock ‘till you’ve tried, my favorite brand is Gimme) 
  • Sriracha 
  • Seasonings of choice 

Recipe Notes:  

I didn’t have any on hand, but Kimchi would elevate this dish exponentially, both from a flavor and probiotic standpoint. If you’re really wanting to channel Emily Moriko’s Salmon bowl, you could add a drizzle of spicy mayo as well. 

Directions: 

I had made a big batch of brown rice and edamame over the weekend, so I started by scooping both of those into a bowl to make my base. I would recommend making brown rice ahead of time, just because it’s a commitment to sit for 30 minutes and babysit a pot of cooking rice. However, again, you do you boo. I opted for fried eggs over the rice, however soft or hard-boiled eggs would also be bomb. After assembling the eggs on the base, I laid my seaweed around in a very artistic way (cooking is an art!) and shook on some spice (Turmeric <33). 

Yogurt-galore  

This one isn’t a recipe, but instead an idea dump. I have recently been trying to get back into yogurt consumption, mostly for its convenience, and have been enjoying creating yogurt bowls for breakfast. Here are two of my fav combos:

PB & J:

Just as the name suggests, this bowl is based on the tried-and-true combo. I use Greek yogurt, mix in about a tablespoon of PB, and dot some raspberry jam on top. If it feels fancy, I add some peanuts to the mix for a little texture. 

Larä Bar creation:

One thing about me is that I won’t ever stop verbalizing my love of Larä Bars, especially PB chocolate chip. Not super creative, but this bowl is made by chopping up a PB chocolate chip Larä Bar and mixing it up with some yogurt! I love the flavor that it adds, and I am satiated after eating because of the protein kick that the bar gives. 

Thank you so much for reading about my culinary creations this week! I hope you ate many yummy things this week, and I will chat with you again soon! Xo! 💟

Allison Bull

Conn Coll '26

Allison is a current sophomore at Connecticut College pursuing a degree in Educational Studies and Anthropology. She is from a small town in Southern New Hampshire where she loves running, hiking, harassing her cat to take selfies (see profile pic), getting lost in the woods, and generally romping around outside. Outside of class, Allison loves reading, making friendship bracelets, listening to music, lying in the sun, and cooking!