This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

A lot of critically acclaimed TV shows can be pretty intense. In a time where shows like Euphoria and Pam and Tommy are the most popular, sometimes you need a break from those intense themes. As the semester picks up, I’ve found it difficult to sit down and watch shows like those. Sometimes you just need some feel-good TV, or something familiar—I’ve recently found that in television meant for children. Here are some children’s TV shows that I enjoy as a 20-year-old in college:

Avatar: The Last Airbender

This one is a classic. Back when Avatar was on Nicktoons, I can remember watching it with my Dad, so for me, it feels especially nostalgic. When this show went on Netflix, right as the first quarantine started, I watched the whole thing again almost immediately. Avatar has an amazing and well-written story with lovable characters that you get to watch grow and change. It also has a beautiful soundtrack. You know a show is good when even the filler episodes are worth watching. However, I will say that there are some episodes that will, in fact, get you emotional (“The Tale of Iroh” and “Appa’s Lost Days” get me. Every. Single. Time.) So, if you’re looking for purely feel-good TV, maybe save this show for another day. 

Julie and the Phantoms

This was actually a children’s show that I watched in college. Julie and the Phantoms came out on Netflix in the fall of 2020, and it was based off of a Brazilian show. If you haven’t heard of it, it follows Julie, a young musician, and a ghost band from the 90s, as they navigate both the ghost world and a performing arts high school.. While it has its more serious moments, for the most part, it’s a fairly lighthearted show with endearing characters that are easily relatable. This show also has a great soundtrack, as the show is about a band, and that musical aspect really adds to the fun. Be warned however, this show only has one season (I’m still upset they canceled it), and the show’s ending is not the most satisfying. 

Gravity Falls

Gravity Falls is one of those shows that definitely surprised me. It follows two twins, Dipper and Mabel, as they visit their great-uncle (Grunkle) Stan in the fictional town of Gravity Falls. This small town is full of supernatural creatures and the twins investigate the incidents they come across. One thing that I especially liked about this show was how unique it was. I’ve never seen a kids show quite like it, and it definitely had some surprising and unexpected outcomes. The show had a “problem” that is solved every episode, but it also had ongoing plots that took longer to resolve, so it’s an easy show to get hooked on.

Phineas and Ferb

I started with a classic, and I’ll end with another one. Phineas and Ferb was one of those shows that I feel was a part of a lot of our childhoods. This is another one of those lighthearted and episodic shows. It follows a standard plot, with running gags and charming characters. It’s one of those shows where it’s easy to watch, and you don’t really have to think about it that much. Going back and watching that show can bring back a nostalgic, feel-good, feeling that I feel a lot of college students could use right about now.

Maggie Hayes

Conn Coll '24

Maggie is a student at Connecticut College. She loves to read, write, and spend time outside (especially with her dogs).