Campus Celebrity: Rachel Schroff

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

This week’s campus celebrity is Rachel Schroff- one of the senior captains of Connecticut College’s most impressive volleyball team in the history of the program. Not only did the team host the NCAA tournament, but Rachel has just received the All-NESCAC Player of the Year award!  Along with being an awesome volleyball player, she also a hard worker in the classroom and has some ambitious plans for after graduation.

Name: Rachel Schroff                                                                                         

Class Year: 2013

Major: Psychology

Minor: Human Development

Favorite place on campus: The Harkness green in the spring

Besides volleyball, what other activities are you involved in on campus? I am a member of the Student Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC).

What do you think is the most valuable thing you’ve learned since being at Conn?

I have learned a lot since being at Conn, but one thing that has really stuck with me is something Coach always says, which is, “It’s all about the process.” That became our team motto and we all really embraced it. I think it is also very relevant to anything you do in life. If you are great at the process, you will be successful.

What are your plans for after graduation?

Good question. Ultimately, I want to return to California and get my masters degree in Pediatric Psychology. However, until then I would love to go abroad. I am thinking of applying to teach in Thailand next year.

How was it that you started playing volleyball and what made you decide to play in college?

My mom played volleyball in high school and college, as well as two of my aunts and my uncle- so, I guess you could say it’s in my blood. I have always loved playing sports and being part of a team. I started playing soccer when I was 6 years-old. However, volleyball programs for younger ages, even in California, were hard to come by.  I started playing in a co-ed outdoor league when I was 12 and instantly fell in love with the sport. The next year I tried out for a club team and I have played volleyball ever since. Once I was a junior in high school, it became too much trying to juggle schedules for both club and high school volleyball and soccer. I had to choose one and volleyball was a no brainer. Likewise, playing in college was an easy decision for me; I couldn’t imagine my life not playing volleyball.

How has athletics affected your college experience?

Being a part of CCVB has really made my college experience. Coming all the way to Connecticut from California, I wasn’t sure what to expect. Being part of a team made the transition so much easier. When I came in as a freshman, Coach Josh and the returners instantly made me feel at home and I knew then I had made the right choice to come to Conn. I have never been on a team with such great teammates and had the guidance of such amazing coaching staff- and I have been on a lot of teams! We treat each other like family. As we say, once a member of CCVB you’re always a member of CCVB. I am very fortunate to be part of such a great program and institution.

It’s pretty awesome that you’ve been named NESCAC Player of the Year! How do you feel about this?

I’m still a little shocked, but truly honored! We had an unforgettable season and I am really proud of what we accomplished as a team. We worked extremely hard in and out of season, and it paid off. It was a privilege to be part of such a great program for four years; I am really going to miss it!!

Photo by Bettina Weiss ’15

I am a junior and a Campus Correspondent for Connecticut College! I am majoring in American Studies and a PICA scholar. I was a High School Ambassador for HerCampus in 2010-2011 and a contibuting writer 2011-2012. I love writing, editing, and social media. This fall, I am a Student Coordinator for the Women's Center, a photographer for College Relations, and am also a member of SafetyNet. When I'm not writing, I love being outside and enjoy many many different types of music. I also enjoy shopping at the Container Store, sharpie markers, thunderstorms, onesies, Gilmore Girls, The Newsroom, New Girl, 60 Minutes, and The West Wing.