Campus Celebrity: Lesley Gaughan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Celebrity: Lesley Gaughan. A senior Art History major, Lesley has dedicated a great portion of her college experience to the arts. Taking full advantage of her liberal arts education, Lesley has explored her creative interests through studying abroad in Paris and interning at two museums. Although intrigued by art from the time period of the world wars, Lesley also believes in the soothing aspects of art. As Henri Matisse said (which is Lesley’s favorite quote), ” What I dream of is an art of balance, of purity and serenity devoid of troubling or depressing subject matter–a soothing, calming influence on the mind, rather like a good armchair which provides relaxation from physical fatigue.”

I had the pleasure of sitting down with this creative mind to see what she had to say… 

What type of art do you most enjoy and why?
My favorite time period is from the end of post-impressionism to the end of modernism. Although I don’t enjoy one specific type of art during this time, I find the historical context the most interesting because of the changes taking place in the world at this time. 

What drives your interest in the arts?
I always had dreams of becoming an artist. But seeing as I am awful at art, I felt that Art History would be the perfect outlet in which I could explore my interest in the arts. My major in Art History will also lend itself well to the demands of creative career fields once I graduate. 

You were in Paris last semester, what was your experience?
Studying abroad in Paris afforded me the opportunity to live in one of the most important art centers in the world. During my time, I visited at least 20 museums in Paris and others in Nice, Madrid and Rome. 

What was your internship this past summer and what did you learn from it?
This past summer, I interned at the MIT Museum in Cambridge, MA. Unlike my specific focus in art, the museum specialized in science and technology. From this experience, I was able to learn about a wide range of opportunities that museums have to offer, especially those that specialize its content beyond the arts.   

You have an internship during the school year. Can you tell us about it?
For the past two years, I have interned at the Florence Griswold Museum in Old Lyme, CT. As an intern, I work in the education department and help develop activities and events for visitors. It has been a great experience working at the museum because I have gained a lot of first-hand experience and have been able to forge relationships with my boss and the curators, which will hopefully remain with me after graduation. 

Dream job?
So many and they are all pretty extreme. I would not mind becoming the editor for Town and Country Weddings, being the event planner for the MET Gala, or having Jenna Lyons’ job. I am not sure how attainable these are, so I would settle for working at the MFA or Gardener in Boston. 

What are you most excited for about senior year?
I am mostly excited to enjoy all the senior events this year. Also, it is our last chance to live as true college students… and I plan on taking full advantage of this opportunity.  

Favorite thing about Conn?

There are three things. One being the long-lasting friendships I have made.  Two, the renovated athletic center… it is probably the only thing that brings me to the other side of the street. And, most importantly, the great dining services staff, including Saturday morning berries. 

Elyse Lebel is a senior at Connecticut College majoring in Psychology and Sociology. Studying abroad her spring semester in Copenhagen, Denmark, she loves to travel and learn about different cultures. As co-founder of the Her Campus branch at her school, Elyse has a strong passion and interest in writing, communications, and fashion. This summer, Elyse interned at Teen Voices, a non-profit magazine based in Boston, and is excited to continue to gain experience in online publication with the HC team!