Campus Celebrity: Kelsie Fralick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

This week’s campus celebrity is not only a phenomenal ice hockey goalie, but she is also one of the friendliest faces on Conn’s campus. Sophomore Kelsie Fralick was named NESCAC’s player of the week for the week of December 3. Her exceptional hockey talent gives her focus and dedication, not to mention she is a great friend and teammate to many. Read more about this team player’s experiences!

Class year: 2015
Major: Classics
Favorite place on campus: Dayton Arena
Other involvements: Big Brothers Big Sisters, Special Olympics Volunteer

When did you start playing hockey? I started playing hockey when I was 10 years old.

How has hockey changed the way you think? Hockey has changed the way I think by making me take in all the surrounding things and analyzing them to make the best decision possible.

How does your team affect your time at Conn? I love my team and so I spend every minute, when I’m not in class, with them. I also live with four teammates in the Ridge so I can never be away from my teammates. And during the season, pretty much all my free time is taken by practices, lifts, games, and away trips.

What has been your favorite memory, hockey or otherwise, thus far at Conn? My favorite memory so far at Conn was when I got my first collegiate win in my first start as a freshman last year, we beat Trinity 6-2.

What has been your favorite class so far at Conn? My favorite class so far was been my Latin class with the late Prof. Held freshman fall.

What do you want to be when you grow up? I want to be a teacher and coach.

What subject do you want to teach and why? I would teach either both Latin and Greek or just Latin because I love those languages and the love and teaching of those languages are dying. 

Where would you go if you could go anywhere? If I could go anywhere, I’d go to Africa so I can say that I’ve been to 5/7 continents.

You’ve been to 4 different continents already?! What were those experiences like? Yeah, I’ve been to North America (obviously), South America, Antarctica, and Europe. I’ve also been to the Artic. I went to South America and Antarctica with my prep school my sophomore year and that was just a trip the the Mars family (M&M’s people) do with Hotchkiss students every six years. I went to Europe with my family and with my middle school. And the Arctic I went with my middle school because we have an exchange program with Finnish school, so when we were visiting Finland we went past the Arctic circle. 

What is it like working with Special Olympics? Some of my teammates and my coach go every Monday starting in November until their big regional races in February. We go and help the kids learn how to skate and just hang out with them. We cheer them on at their regional and hopefully make skating a fun release for them.

Favorite book: The Giving Tree
Favorite movie: Forrest Gump/My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Favorite song: Anything the Zac Brown Band plays

We’re so impressed that you’ve been named NESCAC player of the week as a sophomore and of your crazy stats! What advice would you give to prospective hockey playing female students? My advice would be to just give everything you have into everything you do, whether it’s hockey or school or friendships. If you give everything you have, if things go your way it’s the best feeling in the world. If things don’t, at least you know that you gave your all. 

What’s your motto? Shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you’ll land among the stars.

I am a junior and a Campus Correspondent for Connecticut College! I am majoring in American Studies and a PICA scholar. I was a High School Ambassador for HerCampus in 2010-2011 and a contibuting writer 2011-2012. I love writing, editing, and social media. This fall, I am a Student Coordinator for the Women's Center, a photographer for College Relations, and am also a member of SafetyNet. When I'm not writing, I love being outside and enjoy many many different types of music. I also enjoy shopping at the Container Store, sharpie markers, thunderstorms, onesies, Gilmore Girls, The Newsroom, New Girl, 60 Minutes, and The West Wing.