Campus Celebrity: Kelli Bannister

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

It’s time to have a ‘RefleXion’ on Kelli. Strong, independent, and unique — she has no problem balancing her intensive school work as an Econ major and maintaing various leadership roles in groups and organizations around campus. Let’s learn a little more about Kelli and what she does – and how she does it!

Name: Kelli Bannister

Class Year:2013 

Major: Economics

Hometown: Hackensack, New Jersey

Why did you decide to become an Econ major?

I’ve always enjoyed Economics. I majored in Business & Finance at the magnet high school I attended in New Jersey, and I’ve continued along that path ever since. Surprisingly enough, I never liked math or, rather, the processes involved in solving complex math problems, but I did (and still do) love theory, policy, ideas, and the abstract aspects of the field.That said, despite my dislike for it at times, I’m really good at crunching numbers. This coupled with my knack for understanding policy and people just made my choice to become an Econ major at Conn that much easier.

What has been your favorite class at Conn?

My favorite class, by far, was actually an American Studies class entitled, “Historicizing 9/11.” Taught by Professor Jim Downs, the course was an exceptional opportunity for all the students in the class to experience and take part in the creation of history–literally. To our knowledge, no one had begun to place 9/11 in the broader context of orientalism while coupling it with the experiences of New London, CT residents. Our course aimed to fill this void with a documentary written, filmed, edited, and produced by students in this class. The documentary helped reveal the perspectives of and influences on those not living in New York at the time of the 9/11 attacks. I was one of 5 producers for the film, and was the recipient of a small grant that forwarded further connection between the New London community and Connecticut College in its successful attempt to get the documentary a place in the New London Historical Society’s records.

Who is your favorite professor?

That’s such a hard question. I’ve had a couple “favorite” professors over the past few years, but honestly, my absolute favorite professor is Professor Harris in the Sociology department. Although I am an Econ major and have grown to love every one of my professors in that field, Professor Harris challenged me in ways I still thank her for today. Her classes are by no means easy, but they are incredibly thought provoking and rewarding. She pushed my writing skills and made me think harder every time I answered questions in her classes. That said, when you get an A from her on any assignment of hers, you know you’ve earned it and your really proud of it.

Tell us about RefleXion and how you discovered your interest in spoken word.

RefleXion is the Spoken Word group on campus that I founded with a student one year my senior, Madeline Noi. RefleXion aims to foster the development of creative, strong, confident and well-versed leaders within the Connecticut College community through performance and education. Its purpose is to facilitate a forum, which encourages artistic expression and appreciation for the art of Spoken Word. Our collective goal is to enrich our lives and those of our audiences with words of truth, empowerment, inspiration, and depth. I know I am biased, but I feel as though RefleXion is becoming one of the best clubs on campus! My reason for co-founding the group lies in my passion for the art, itself. I’ve been writing poetry, lyrics and prose for as long as I remember, and I’d been performing poetry for years before I came to Conn. I discovered my interest for poetry after having been told by my middle school teacher, Mrs. Parchment, that I had a “way with words,” and that I should never let that go. In a school I felt so small and unimportant in, she reminded me of my talents and encouraged their development in class. The first time I presented my piece (I was far from being the performer I’ve become), it stirred something in me. A voice I didn’t know was there, made its presence known—both to myself and to my peers. In that way, I suppose I fell into loving the art and the power it instilled in me–to be heard, understood and appreciated. I’ve since headed multiple groups and projects involving spoken word, poetry, and the like. I do hope I’ve made her proud.

What are your favorite activities at Conn?

Well, although 400-level classes have not as of yet allowed me to visit the gym quite as often, I love going to the AC to workout and watch basketball games. My biological father was an NBA player in his hay day, so I do suppose my love for sports, working out, and basketball, in particular, is in my blood. I also enjoy the occasional dance show at Conn (when I can afford it and have time for it). Most of my favorite activities though, involve the Clubs I hold membership and/or officer roles in. RefleXion shows are always a blast. The food is nearly always perfect and the performances of my fellow artists often remind me how lucky I am to be at Conn. As the former treasurer, and now fulltime member of Umoja, I love going to Umoja’s annual Kwanzaa Dinner and the various events it encourages members to be a part of throughout the year. Throughout the past 4 years, I’ve especially enjoyed Eclipse performances, Teacher panel talks, Dance Pow-wow’s and the like. In all honestly, I suppose the best answer to this question is that aside from my trips to the AC, most of–if not all–of my favorite activities involve going to see my favorite people–namely, my friends–do what they are passionate about doing.

What are your post-graduation plans?

After graduation, I plan on getting a job in finance or public policy, potentially becoming a certified public accountant, and eventually working as an officer (CFO) or partner of a firm or non-profit organization vested in helping the community through education or public policy. At the end of the day, I just want to do something I love and become financially stable enough to help my family and everyone else around me. Corny, huh? 

Annie Rusk

Conn Coll

Danielle is a sophomore at Connecticut College and is currently pursuing a double-major in International Relations and Middle Eastern Studies. Danielle began writing for the Connecticut College branch of Her Campus in the fall of 2011 and will continue to write this year as Editor and Campus Correspondent. Danielle has traveled all over the world and continues her love for other cultures and languages through her studies. Besides traveling, she loves to sing and dance - especially as a member of Miss Connduct, an all-female A capella group at Connecticut College. In general, Danielle loves sushi, goats, traveling, and Star Wars/Lord of the Rings. She is thrilled to be working with Her Campus this year!