Campus Celebrity: Brenner Green

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Meet this week’s Camus Celebrity: Brenner Green. A senior at Conn, Brenner is known around campus for his charming personality and ability to make anyone smile. As one student said, “Brenner has so much going for him. He’s smart, funny, athletic, and so personable.” Greatly involved on campus, this cross country star runs circles around all of us… even off the track. Not only is he the housefellow of Earth/360 house, but he is also completing a Senior thesis this year and has been involved with the “It Gets Better” project, which features his experience as a gay athlete. We don’t know how he does it. But, while I try to catch my breath, here is what this celebrity had to say…

Major: Psychology
Hometown: Lisbon, Connecticut
Dorm: HF of 360/Earth House

You have received much praise for your “It Gets Better Video.” Could you tell us about the cause and how you got involved?
My involvement with the “It Gets Better” project/campaign stems from the campaign partnering with www.outsports.com.  This new partnership features out gay athletes sharing their experiences as out athletes after coming out to their teammates and families.  I was happy to share my experience and message as an out athlete with athletes who are struggling to come out on their own teams and to their own families.  It is my hope that these athletes can see enough happy and successful out athletes to encourage them that it really does get better quickly after coming out.

How has running on the Cross Country team shaped your college experience?
Running on the cross country team has made me a better leader and perhaps even a stronger person emotionally and physically.  The sport is what I live for and what keeps me going.  Spending time with my teammates and my coach has also made my experience on the team even more valuable.  Without cross country, I would lack the discipline, character, and perseverance that makes me a better person.

How else are you involved on campus?
 On campus, I am also involved in various other organizations and roles.  I am the housefellow of Earth/360 House on campus, as well as a senior admission fellow.  Besides these two primary leadership roles, I also am involved with the Holleran Center for Community Action and Public Policy as a PICA scholar.

You are also doing a Psychology thesis. Could you tell us a little about what you are researching?
 My psychology thesis is an exploration of the intimate friendships between gay athletes and their straight teammates.  I am currently interviewing six dyads of high school, college, and post-grad male athletes who are sharing their stories about their friendships with me.  I am interested in how these athletes talk about their friendships, what themes are common within these friendships, and how these friendships differ from the typical friendships between two straight athletes. 

When not running, what can you be found doing?
When not running, I may be in my apartment watching silly MTV reality shows with friends or hopefully studying and working on my thesis.  Unfortunately, I have a hefty workload this semester so hitting the books is much a necessary reality.

You are senior, what are you excited most for about senior year?
I am excited most for senior week.  As much as I love working on my thesis, I can do without the other work and just want to enjoy time with my friends in my last year at Conn.  Is that too much to ask?  It looks like senior week will be our time to finally unwind and spend some meaningful time together before the dreaded “g” day.

Will you continue to run post-grad?
For sure.  I’ve run my first half-marathon in the Netherlands while I was studying abroad and absolutely loved it!  I foresee many half-marathons and full marathons in my future!

Dream job?
My dream job would to be a motivational speaker and travel the country presenting workshops in schools about athlete equality and what we need to do to end homophobia and heterosexism in schools and sports specifically. I also really enjoy working with children with special needs and various multicultural backgrounds, so I would love a job as a counselor or special education teacher.

Elyse Lebel is a senior at Connecticut College majoring in Psychology and Sociology. Studying abroad her spring semester in Copenhagen, Denmark, she loves to travel and learn about different cultures. As co-founder of the Her Campus branch at her school, Elyse has a strong passion and interest in writing, communications, and fashion. This summer, Elyse interned at Teen Voices, a non-profit magazine based in Boston, and is excited to continue to gain experience in online publication with the HC team!