pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Campus Celebrity: Anthony Sis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Senior Anthony Sis does it all! While being a housefellow in Hamilton, a PICA Scholar, an Admissions Fellow, a member of SafetyNet and founder of QPOC (Queer People of Color), he juggles an internship and he still manages to support all of his friends and peers, excel academically, and better yet, he always has a smile on his face! Her Campus was super excited to have a talk with Anthony and ask… How do you do it!? Here’s what he said… 

Name: Anthony Sis      
Class Year: 2014
Major: Government
Minor: Gender & Women’s Studies
Academic Center: Holleran Center for Community Action & Public Policy (PICA)
Clubs/Organizations: QPOC (Queer People of Color), SafetyNet, Exodus, Intern at HigherEdge in New London, CT

First of all, we know you are a housefellow and your house theme is Monsters University. If you were a character from Monster’s Inc., which would it be? Why?
I feel like I identify most with Sully. He’s a big blue guy who can scare children but deep down inside he has a big heart. Not to say that I like to scare children, but I can easily relate to having a big heart.

Since we are talking about a children’s movie, what was your favorite movie as a kid? 
The Lion King! Hands down. I would make my sister rewind the VHS tape and watch it with me over and over and over again.

What is your favorite movie now?
This is a difficult one! I would say Toy Story, especially Toy Story 3. I cried watching the movie in theaters with both my friends and family. It’s definitely a tearjerker. (Us too Anthony!) 

As a senior you are probably doing a lot of reminiscing, what is your first vivid memory at Connecticut College?
My first vivid memory at Connecticut College was my visit during Spring Preview. Spring Preview was where I met most of my close friends to this day, and for that reason I will always cherish the Spring Preview program.

Where do you spend most of your time on campus?
I spend most of my time in my room, surprisingly enough. My housefellow suite is so comfortable that I don’t ever want to leave it, especially now that it’s getting cold outside!

What is your favorite place on campus?
My favorite places on campus are outdoors: the Arboretum and Tempel Green. I make a visit to the Arbo when the seasons change because each time I go I always observe something new and different about the Arbo itself. Tempel Green has become my favorite place on campus to study and do work on a nice, warm, and sunny day.

Where have you met the most people?
I meet most people through my involvement with a number of student organizations through Unity House and the LGBTQ Center. My role as the Housefellow of Hamilton has also allowed me to meet some awesome first-year students and upperclassmen that I have never met until now, which has been the most rewarding part of the position.

Your absolute favorite thing about campus?
My favorite thing about campus is the engaging discussions I have with students, faculty, and staff about a number of different topics. Connecticut College has truly allowed me to expand my knowledge about issues that affect people on a personal and intimate level. Having these discussions, whether they’re in the classroom or at an event, has equipped me with the skills to carry on these conversations off campus and out into the real world.

Favorite food in Harris?
Sunday morning breakfast with eggs, corned beef hash, hash browns, and banana pancakes. No lie. Best breakfast combination- ever.

Favorite drink during the cold weather?
Mint Hot Chocolate or Chamomile Tea, please :-)

You are a PICA scholar, so what 3 things you would do to make the world a better place: 

1. I would teach everyone, especially youth, the value of empathy.
  2. I would eliminate all poverty in the world.
  3. I would redefine the word “community” so that everyone in society felt obligated to help one another in some way, shape, or form.

You are an admission fellow, so what advice do you have for future camels:
The best advice I can give is to not snooze on any opportunity Conn has to offer. As a senior, I value any lecture or speaker who comes to campus to talk about a particular topic. It may not be my specific interest, but I’ll never know what I can gain from attending talks on campus. Also, take advantage of the summer opportunities that Conn has to offer. Believe it or not, Conn is pretty calm and relaxing over the summer. After spending two summers at Conn I’ve learned a lot about the campus and the New London community, which hosts events such as Sailfest in July.

What will you miss most about Conn?
Am I really answering this question? For one, I will miss the close proximity to my close friends and mentors all in one location. I will also miss New London and the amazing volunteer work that Conn students offer to the greater community. Our Office of Volunteer and Community Service has done a wonderful job of placing me in both challenging yet suitable positions that have allowed me to grow as an individual and strengthen my relationship to the New London community. Both Conn and New London have taught me so much about myself as an individual and boosted my confidence that I can succeed in any position I take on after graduation. 

Thank you Anthony! You are truly an inspiration and have done so much for our campus community! 

Janil Tejada is a Connecticut College Junior. She was born and raised in New York City. She is currently majoring in Latin American Studies and History. She is considering getting a PhD in Latin American studies. However, her heart has always been in issues affecting females and fashion. She is also passionate about social justice! She loves it all. She is PICA scholar, MMUF and NASPA NUFT fellow and Floor Governor. She is also in Eclipse and Umoja. She is very friendly and loves it when people get involved! Feel free to ask her any question!
Her Campus Conn Coll