Best/Worst Grammy Performances 2012

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

BEST:

1)  Adele performing “Someone Like You”

Adele never ceases to amaze an audience with her incredible pipes. Despite spending months recovering from laser throat surgery, Adele made an epic comeback with her beautiful performance of “Someone Like You.” It’s no wonder she went home winning several grammies, including “Best Album of the Year.”

2)  Jennifer Hudson performing “I Will Always Love You” tribute to Whitney Houston

News of Whitney Houston’s death has shocked fans all around, yet Jennifer Hudson was quick to step in and honor Houston’s most famous single. No one could have done it better than Miss Hudson to pay tribute to Houston, recognizing her incredible presence within the music scene throughout the years. Rest in peace, Whitney.

3)  Taylor Swift performing “Mean”

Taylor Swift’s performance of her Grammy-winning song “Mean”was absolutely spot on, thus resulting in a standing ovation from happy fans. Despite Taylor’s tendency to go off-key during live performances, she remained strong throughout with flying colors.

4)   Bruno Mars performing “Runaway Love”

Bruno never fails to bring full energy and passion to the stage. Rocking away with his crisp, strong voice, he completely engaged the audience – reminding them what celebrating music is all about!

WORST:

1)  Nicki Minaj performing “Roman Holiday”

Unfortunately Nicki Minaj’s performance didn’t quite do it for audience members, sparking much controversy through an exorcist-like performance involving satanic and demonic references. Some even claim that Nicki has become “Stranger than Lady Gaga” – ouch.

2)  Katy Perry performing “Part of Me”

Perhaps audience members were too busy focusing on Katy’s ridiculous blue-colored hair rather than her latest single. Nevertheless, Katy’s performance combined elements of S&M and sci-fi which was claimed to be an “underwhelming production.”  Maybe next time, Katy.

3)  Chris Brown performing “Beautiful People”

Chris Brown’s electro-pop performance was decent enough to be entertaining, but performing twice was completely unnecessary. Reviewers claim they would have much rather liked to see an artist such as Robyn up on stage – boy, would she have rocked it.

Danielle is a sophomore at Connecticut College and is currently pursuing a double-major in International Relations and Middle Eastern Studies. Danielle began writing for the Connecticut College branch of Her Campus in the fall of 2011 and will continue to write this year as Editor and Campus Correspondent. Danielle has traveled all over the world and continues her love for other cultures and languages through her studies. Besides traveling, she loves to sing and dance - especially as a member of Miss Connduct, an all-female A capella group at Connecticut College. In general, Danielle loves sushi, goats, traveling, and Star Wars/Lord of the Rings. She is thrilled to be working with Her Campus this year!
Elyse Lebel is a senior at Connecticut College majoring in Psychology and Sociology. Studying abroad her spring semester in Copenhagen, Denmark, she loves to travel and learn about different cultures. As co-founder of the Her Campus branch at her school, Elyse has a strong passion and interest in writing, communications, and fashion. This summer, Elyse interned at Teen Voices, a non-profit magazine based in Boston, and is excited to continue to gain experience in online publication with the HC team!