Advice for Being Away From Home for Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Thanksgiving is right around the corner, and some of us at Connecticut College are thousands of miles away from home. Since it doesn’t make sense to travel all the way back for the short break, we will have to do with what’s in our local vicinity. Here is our advice for being away from home for Thanksgiving:

It’s a bit of a trek for me to travel from Connecticut back home to Washington State, so I typically stay with my family friends for Thanksgiving. My piece of advice is to try to appreciate the new experiences and traditions of being with another family for Thanksgiving, as well as the willingness of others to let you into their lives in such an intimate way. I’ve gotten to help make recipes that are new to me, become closer with people I don’t see as often, and participate in traditions like board game tournaments. Reframing being away from home for Thanksgiving as an opportunity to gain something new instead of a loss of something old has helped me while being away from home. 

-Kendall Foley ‘24

I live in California, so unlike a lot of students who live within driving distance from the college and can visit home frequently, I don’t go home until the long breaks. In order to feel less homesick and to be more comfortable, I try to watch my comfort shows and movies and do some self-care. Rewatching some of my favorite films and bundling up in bed makes me feel like I’m at home and gives me a warm fuzzy feeling that’s often hard to find in Connecticut winters. And calling your friends and catching up with them is a good way to feel connected to people you don’t get to see as often. Everyone should take advantage of the chance to catch up on sleep and not worry about homework this break, no matter where you are!

-Maria Sell ‘23  

While it’s always difficult to live states away from my family, being away for Thanksgiving—a holiday notable for being spent with loved ones—hits a little different. Thankfully, my “loved ones” extend beyond my nuclear family. Although it’s a cliche, home can be something that can be carried with you even when the physical one is distant. Home can be people and things that make you feel safe and comfortable. This Thanksgiving, I will be able to spend time with my extended family in New England. My piece of advice is to prioritize gratitude and what you have been given this Thanksgiving. It might be easy to fall into the “if only” state of mind about where you could be, but I think it’s best to find joy where you are. Also, it always helps me feel less homesick to call my parents or do a family Facetime call. Finally, I would recommend resting, reflecting, and rejuvenating for our final three weeks of the semester! Happy Turkey Day camels!
– Meredith Harper ‘24

Maria Sell

Conn Coll '23

Maria (she/her/hers) is a senior at Connecticut College studying American Studies and Sociology and is from the San Francisco Bay Area. She loves getting to play on the Women's Water Polo Team with her teammates here and enjoys reading, baking, and coaching water polo outside of school!
Meredith Harper

Conn Coll '24

Meredith Harper is a junior at Connecticut College. She loves to write, listen to music, and hangout with friends.