Tips For Going to a Party or Event on Your Own

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

Going to a party or event where you don’t know many people who are going to be there, presents many opportunities; getting out of your comfort zone, meeting new people and having a great time! Of course, it can be a little uneasy, especially if you’re a little introverted. I have put together some tips based on personal experience, to help you relax and feel good when getting ready and at the party. 

1. Dress in something that makes you feel good

Your confidence boosts when you wear something that makes you feel good and that you know you look good in. Wear something you love, that amplifies your confidence.

2. Play your favourite music or a funny video/podcast while getting ready and on your way over, to intensify your mood and lower your nerves

Laughing, smiling and your favourite songs will help boost your spirit. Plus, these elements relieve stress so it will help you relax if you are nervous.

social media on phone
Georgia de Lotz for Unsplash

3. At the party, pay attention to your body language

Body language is so important! Standing in a position that opens your body, will make you look inviting and open to conversation. Crossed arms or hunched back, can make you seem unapproachable, so keep that in mind. Holding something, like a drink, a plate, a clutch purse or worst case scenario your phone (however, not looking at it!) can give your hands something to do,if you’re feeling a little awkward.

4. Compliment someone to start a conversation

Compliments are always nice to hear, it’s a great icebreaker and it will make you seem friendly. Tell the girl next to you love her earrings and ask where she got them, and develop a conversation from there, and boom! Before you know it, you made a new friend!

girl and friends posing
Photo by Adrienn from Pexels

5. If you are having trouble integrating, ask the friend you know for help

Ask your friend who invited you to introduce you to people they know and to integrate you into the conversation.                                     

6. Alcohol can help loosen you up, but don’t get sloppy

Drinking is well known to aid in loosening up, but depending on the circumstances, maybe don’t reach your alcohol limit (but of course, you do you!)

woman drinking wine
Kelsey Chance for Unsplash

7. If you see someone looking uncomfortable, talk to them

They probably want someone to talk to too. If the conversation isn’t going well, you can always politely exit the situation. 

8. Leave early if you aren’t feeling it

If you’re feeling uncomfortable, not having fun or feeling too anxious, let your friend know and make your escape. At least you showed up and showed the host you made an effort. 

I hope these tips help you feel good before and during the event!

Lauren Piot

Concordia CA '21

Lauren is majoring in Communications with a minor in Law and Society. Reading novels and playing guitar are her preferred pass times. Some of her more adventurous hobbies include deep sea diving and skiing. Turtles are her favorite animal and dark green is her favorite color.
Kheyra King

Concordia CA '21

Kheyra King is a Montreal-born city girl studying English Literature at Concordia University. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Concordia and the Vice President of Recruitment of Delta Phi Epsilon. She loves coffee dates, traveling and pasta. You will definitely catch her studying at the local Starbucks or Webster Library.