chloe andrews rDv1oPNt4qw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
chloe andrews rDv1oPNt4qw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Culture > News

Société québécoise du cannabis (SQDC) Store Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

During the past few years, the cannabis industry has been budding as many countries, states, and provinces are moving to legalize the sale of cannabis (marijuana) and its hemp by-products.

It’s high times here in Canada. On October 17, 2018, the Cannabis Act (BILL C-45)  legalized the use of recreational marijuana across the country. However, each province and territory can implement their own provisions on sales, distribution and use. The Act permits individuals over 18 years of age to possess and purchase cannabis in federally sanctioned stores and by mail.

In Montreal, our branch of cannabis distribution is called the Société québécoise du cannabis (SQDC). The SQDC is a subsidiary of the Société des alcools du Québec (SAQ). The experience of the store is very similar to that of shopping in the SAQ. Before entering, you simply show a valid piece of identity that shows your age.

The store’s interior is divided into three main sections where you can purchase either sativa, indica or hybrid strains. All items are displayed on the wall behind a counter where the staff is happy to help you find the right products for you. The SQDC sells dried cannabis in flower, ground and pre-rolled forms.

Not into smoking? No worries! You can also buy oils, pills and oral sprays.

Another excellent feature of the store is how easy it is to customize products.

The first thing you’ll want to decide is what strain is right for you. As stated before, they SQDC offer sativa, indica or hybrid plants.

Here’s the breakdown:

Sativa

This strain has energizing and uplifting effects and can help induce creativity. The plant tends to be longer and have more narrow and thin stems and leaves.

Indica

Indica is a more calming, sleep-inducing and relaxing strain. In contrast, these plants are more stubby with short and dense flowers.

Hybrid

This third strain, as the name suggests, is a mix between the two plants. Hybrid plants tend to have a mix of the two effects, but can be more sativa dominant or more indica dominant, depending on the blend.

THC or CBD?

The two main cannabinoids in cannabis are called tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD). Both produce different effects on the body and mind. THC is the psychoactive component in cannabis and produces a stronger mental and euphoric effect. CBD on the other hand, has minimal to no THC qualities and can be useful for reducing chronic body pain as well as reducing anxiety.

Products also come in three varieties of strengths: moderate, medium and strong, which determines how intense the effects will be.

As a customer, you’re allowed to purchase up to 30 grams of cannabis products at a time.

Keep 4/20 fun for everyone by safely consuming only what you feel comfortable with, not driving or operating machinery and making sure cannabis products are safe for yourself and those around you.

Check out the links below:

Health Canada on cannabis effects

SQDC website

Faith Orr

Concordia CA '19

Faith Orr is a Campus Correspondent at Concordia University in Montreal. She is in her final year of studies, specializing in French to English Translation with a minor Women’s Studies. She is originally from a small farming town in Vermont, U.S. but has planted her new roots in Montreal. She has a passion for feminism and LGBTQ activism. In her free time, Faith enjoys studying astrology (#TeamVirgo) and learning about holistic health and medicine.
Kami Katopodis

Concordia CA '19

President of HC Concordia • Poet • Major in Human Relations • Minor in Diversity in the Contemporary World •