Anna Schultz-Girl Using Ipad In Bed
Anna Schultz-Girl Using Ipad In Bed
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

As an avid reader, I love holding a physical book and turning its paper pages. Convinced I wouldn’t become a ‘Kindle person’ or an ‘electronic reader’ who participates in the extinction of physical books, I was uninterested in those devices. However, that changed when my dad gave me his old Kindle because he got the newest version for himself. I thought it would be an opportunity to give it a try. Now, after owning it and using it quotidianly for the past few months, I will provide you with my honest opinion about reading electronically. 

The modern way of reading

I was afraid I would miss the feeling of turning pages and being able to continually see my progression by the bookmark moving deeper into the book. In the end, that was just a feature that I had to get used to not having, just like trying anything new, there are some adjustments to make. After all, this is the evolution of books and reading. Furthermore, the size and the weight of the Kindle is a benefit because you can truly bring it anywhere with no hassle.

What made me the most skeptical about E-readers is that it would become another device to have to charge, and that would die mid-sentence of an intense scene. Fortunately, that hasn’t happened to me yet because the battery is extremely long-lasting. Despite this, it’s still another device to rely on.

An eco-friendly alternative

This way of reading is extremely ecological. Buying new books has always made me feel a little guilty, so I’ve made an effort to buy second-hand, but there is still that burning desire to buy that fancy hardcover, white-paged brand new sensational novel which you know deep down has killed so many trees and used too much toxic ink. This guilt has intensified with the climate crisis that caused fires destroying forests around the world. Participating in buying paper books made me want to quit reading altogether. That guilt disappeared with reading electronically. However, I am unaware of any ethical issues that come with the fabrication of E-readers, but we can imagine that there must be some unethicalness that goes into the construction of any electronic device. 

Instantaneity

Moreover, another element that made me reluctant to getting an E-reader is that I would no longer have the need to visit bookstores. However, this doesn’t stop me from still looking through a bookstore’s shelves to find what to purchase on the app store. Plus, books are usually cheaper on Kindle. 

Also, with the Kindle, I have the option to download a free sample before committing to buying; which is the equivalent of reading a chapter in the bookstore, but from the comfort of your home.  

Lauren Piot

Concordia CA '21

Lauren is majoring in Communications with a minor in Law and Society. Reading novels and playing guitar are her preferred pass times. Some of her more adventurous hobbies include deep sea diving and skiing. Turtles are her favorite animal and dark green is her favorite color.
Kheyra King

Concordia CA '21

Kheyra King is a Montreal-born city girl studying English Literature at Concordia University. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Concordia and the Vice President of Recruitment of Delta Phi Epsilon. She loves coffee dates, traveling and pasta. You will definitely catch her studying at the local Starbucks or Webster Library.