Meet the Her Campus Concordia Team – Jenny Mourad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

Name: Jenny Mourad

Major: Communication and Cultural Studies/ Minor in Psychology

Why did you choose Concordia? I actually had always wanted to go to UBC (and I had been accepted there) but I had a friend who went to Concordia at the time and we got to talking and she seemed really happy. So, on a whim, I decided to switch my entire plan and just show up to Montreal and try out Concordia – and I have loved it ever since.

What is your favourite part of Concordia? My favourite part about Concordia is my department, the Communications department. The professors are amazing and my peers are interesting and always producing really amazing cultural works. 

Role at Her Campus: Blog Contributor

Why did you choose to join Her Campus? I really wanted to get involved with something on campus because it is my last year here at Concordia. Also, I am a feminist and all for women oriented media so to be able to share my thoughts with my fellow female Concordians was just too perfect not to at least try out.

Hometown:  Mission, British Columbia

Favourite place on/near campus to hang out? Moose Bawr is always a great time – their sangrias are delicious and not too expensive! Plus, free popcorn.

Describe yourself in three words: Dedicated, nerdy, friendly

What is something about you that most people dont know? At the age of 13 I moved from Canada and spent my high school years in Saudi Arabia – it was an interesting change to say the least.

If you won 1 million dollars, what would you buy first? That is a tough one. I would probably buy my parents some plane tickets to go travel the world.

What is your favourite place you have traveled to? I think my favourite place would have to be Barcelona. I went with my senior class and the first day there was my 18th birthday. It was some of the best days of my life for sure.

Where is somewhere you want to travel to? I really want to see Paris for no particular reason except that as a child I decided that I would one day live in Paris. This is not going to happen but I think I should at least compromise with my younger self and go check it out.

What are you reading right now? I am reading Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. It is a fantastic novel about culture, specifically the difficulties minorities face in their developing home countries as well as trying to live and make it in America. It is an amazing book; I highly recommend it to everyone.

What is one mistake youve made in college/university and what did you learn from it? Oh god, I have made many mistakes over the past four years. The one I have worked the most on changing is probably learning how to (sort of) control my procrastination. No one is actively checking up on me to make sure my work is done and that freedom can have some dire results. I try and space out my work more now so that I am not drowning in seven different final papers all due at once at the end of the semester.

Where do you see yourself in five years? I try and avoid these thoughts because it is too stressful. However, I hope to have completed my undergrad and a master’s degree by then. Hopefully I am working in a creative field and I am happy.

What is one quote youve always held onto? A quote by e.e cummings – “it takes courage to grow up and become who you really are”

What if your favourite food? I’m a dessert person so I would go with a strawberry tart over any salty food anyday.

What is your favourite animal? My favourite animal is a sea turtle with the giraffe as a VERY close second.

What is your favourite movie? Oh I have so many! Ferris Bueller’s Day Off is probably the closest thing to my favourite movie.

What is a fun fact about you? I watch old school Disney movies when I am having bad days. 

Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.