This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

The pandemic has introduced us to new habits such as disinfecting our hands when entering a store, wearing a mask indoors and social distancing from others. Keeping your distance from strangers is a significant part of this pandemic since anyone could be carrying the virus. With these new rules and the fear of getting sick, the dating scene has changed, but the dating industry has been evolving and adapting to these new and unprecedented times.

The single people who were actively dating prior to the pandemic obviously needed to bring that to a halt. Meeting strangers in a cozy cafe or in a comfortable bar is no longer an option. However, dating apps bounced back with the clever and creative idea of FaceTime dates. Each party can safely meet through their phone and get to know one other from the comfort of their own homes. With this dating method, there is no longer the stress that comes from waiting at a table for your date to arrive, hoping you recognize them from their pictures. These facetime dates take off a lot of the pressures that come with first dates, which might encourage people to go on more of these unconventional dates.

Woman with curly hair waving and saying hi to someone through her laptop.
Photo by Yan from Pexels

However, it is worth mentioning that some experiences with facetime dates might be different than others. A friend of mine was considering going on one of these dates and brought up an interesting point. She said that since you are not in the same environment and not physically next to each other like we are used to for dates, it may be awkward. Being in a relationship that started right at the beginning of this pandemic, I never experienced this new model of dating myself, but I think it’s an excellent idea. We had to give up many things to stay safe during this unpredictable pandemic, but at least their search for love isn’t one of them.

So, when will it be safe to make physical contact with your date again? Obviously, when both you and your partner feel comfortable, neither of you have symptoms or have been in contact with anyone who does, and you are both following the recommended precautions. Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada’s head doctor suggests wearing a mask when being intimate with someone, and even expressed that “sexual health is an important part of our overall health.”

I am curious to see how dating will further develop and evolve with these unpredictable times. However, with this new perspective of keeping distance between strangers, all the while being precautious, the dating culture will have forever changed. When I asked my friends what they think dating will look like now that the pandemic is slowing down, they suggested that there might be a generation of children born from this pandemic like the baby boomers were from the post-World War Two era. Only time will tell.

Lauren Piot

Concordia CA '21

Lauren is majoring in Communications with a minor in Law and Society. Reading novels and playing guitar are her preferred pass times. Some of her more adventurous hobbies include deep sea diving and skiing. Turtles are her favorite animal and dark green is her favorite color.
Kheyra King

Concordia CA '21

Kheyra King is a Montreal-born city girl studying English Literature at Concordia University. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Concordia and the Vice President of Recruitment of Delta Phi Epsilon. She loves coffee dates, traveling and pasta. You will definitely catch her studying at the local Starbucks or Webster Library.