This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

Too many bikers are quick to hang up their wheels at the first sign of winter. However, with a little practice and know how, winter biking can be incredibly fun! All the while you’re getting great exercise and reducing your carbon footprint. What’s not to love?

I began exclusively biking in the spring, summer and fall as a form of transportation two years ago and this winter decided to bike year round. As I continue my winter biking adventures, I wanted to share the best tips for a successful winter biking transition. There are three main categories to address when preparing for winter cycling: the bike, the rider, and your surroundings.

The Bike

1)    winter bike tires

In order to ride throughout winter, you’ll need to purchase winter bike tires. There are two main options when it comes to these tires: studded tires or non-studded heavy tread tires.

While the heavy tread tires will be good in most winter conditions, they do not have the best grip on ice. Studded tires cut through ice and grip the road to navigate more icy conditions. However, they are a bit slower due to their size.

While you can buy bike tires in many online stores, I recommend going to a bike shop where their professionals can help you choose the best tire for your bike and commuter preferences.

2)    bike fenders

Fenders are also key for preventing rain, slush and snow from spraying on you and your bike. They don’t need to be fancy and can even be made DIY with zip ties and recycled plastic. The important thing is that they cover your front and back tires so you and those biking behind you stay dry.

3)    lighting

Having proper lighting on your bike is equally as important as on a car. This is especially true in the winter when visibility is low and it’s dark during most of the day and night. Make sure to attach a front light on yourself or bike, as well as a back light. You want at least a 700 lumens for best visibility on your front light. I invested in a reachable USB light, which requires less recharging, but the clip on variety works well too. Just remember to keep batteries with you while commuting in case your light dies, as the cold drains the batteries faster.

The Rider

Now that your bike is set, you need to make sure you have all the gear that to keep yourself safe and warm.

1)    helmet

Firstly, make sure you have a good helmet, large enough to fit over a hat. Winter biking can be a bit more dangerous if you are not properly outfitted and a helmet is crucial to your safety and those around you.

2)    coat/ski pants

You’ll also need a warm winter coat, any style or brand will do as long as it keeps you warm and is wind and waterproof. As for ski pants, get a pair that are loose enough so that you can wear any outfit underneath without feeling constricted while pedaling. These should also be waterproof.

3)    hats/gloves/neck warmer

Make sure you have a warm hat that fully covers your ears. I also recommend at least two pairs of warm winter gloves that you can alternate between while one pair is drying. Also, make sure they allow you to grip your brakes and handles with ease.

When biking, it often feels windier than it is, so make sure you have a neck warmer to protect your face and neck.

4)    protective glasses

The bright sun glistening off the snow can be very blinding, while the sting of the cold can make our eyes water. It’s important that you have a pair of glasses (even sunglasses or ski goggles) in order to fully protect your eyes from the sun and wind.

Your Surroundings  

Even when you’re fully ready to take your bike out on the road, understanding your physical environment and surroundings to manage the wintery roads is vital.

1)    go slow

You simply can’t bike as fast as in the summer months. There is more snow, more debris and slush in your tires, and more layers on your body. Do not rush when winter biking, give yourself extra to get to your destination and keep a slow but consistent pace in order to conserve energy and stay warm.

2)    Stay aware, stay cautious

Cars, pedestrians and buses aren’t as used to dealing with winter bikers. It is important that you stay extra aware when biking and always check your surroundings for oncoming traffic, bikes, and changes in road and trail conditions. Taking these cautions assures both your safety and everyone around you.

Happy pedaling! I hope some of these tips help more women to become involved in winter biking.

Faith Orr

Concordia CA '19

Faith Orr is a Campus Correspondent at Concordia University in Montreal. She is in her final year of studies, specializing in French to English Translation with a minor Women’s Studies. She is originally from a small farming town in Vermont, U.S. but has planted her new roots in Montreal. She has a passion for feminism and LGBTQ activism. In her free time, Faith enjoys studying astrology (#TeamVirgo) and learning about holistic health and medicine.
Kami Katopodis

Concordia CA '19

President of HC Concordia • Poet • Major in Human Relations • Minor in Diversity in the Contemporary World •