emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Tips For a Sustainable Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

The holiday season may be the most wonderful time of the year, but it isn’t the most eco-friendly! In the United States alone, people produce 25% more trash than usual during the holidays. Luckily, there are many small steps you can take to ensure your holiday season is as sustainable as possible.

1. Wrap presents differently

We usually think of traditional gift bags and wrapping paper. However, there is actually a more sustainable option! Furoshiki is a traditional Japanese wrapping cloth that has been becoming more popular as it is eco-friendly. Here is a guide that shows how to wrap different items in cloth. If you must use wrapping paper or gift bags, opt for recyclable ones and ones made from recyclable materials.

1. Consider your presents

How many times have you received a gift that you have never used or forgotten about? As kind as gift-giving is, if you aren’t 100 per cent sure the recipient is going to get full use out of your present it might be time to consider other options. Buying high-quality, long lasting gifts reduces waste in the long-run. Homemade presents are both thoughtful and packaging-free. Experiences like concert tickets are usually low-waste and so much fun.

1. LED lights

If you’re going to be displaying decorations like Christmas lights, opt for LED lights as they are more energy efficient. They last far longer, and since they save energy and they will save money!

1. Shop efficiently

When you do your holiday shopping, look at local sellers and locally produced goods before hitting the mall. This will help support smaller businesses as opposed to larger corporations, and since the products aren’t mass produced they are most likely more eco-friendly!

1. Recycle!

Lastly, don’t forget to recycle! Old cards, packaging, wrapping paper—if it can be recycled, make sure you do your part!

Sarah Bubenheimer

Concordia CA '22

Sarah Bubenheimer is a fourth year student at Concordia studying Philosophy, Law & Society, and Western Society & Culture. She is a Councillor for the Concordia Student Union and the Academic & Accessibility Coordinator for the Students of Philosophy Association. She is passionate about lattes, lipstick, and philosophy, and can always be found at a cafe listening to Taylor Swift. 
Amanda is a Journalism and Creative Writing major at Concordia University in Montreal. Writing has been her passion for as long as she can remember, and is the reason why she's been pursuing it throughout her University career. She has been working on a novel-length story since high school that she hopes to one day publish. Journalism pricked her interest in her last year of high school when she took an optional class. Amanda joined a group in class, and they had to make a plan for a contest on how they would document the humanitarian work in Peru. They won first place, and had the chance of traveling to a small community in Peru where they had the chance to interview and meet volunteers and citizens. It was at that moment that Amanda knew what she wanted to do in life.