5 Things Every Concordia Girl Needs to Carry Around on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

Being the busy undergraduate women that we are, planning out what to carry around in our bag all day can be a stressful chore.  Forgetting a textbook or being stuck downtown with no cell phone charger can be quite annoying.  Over the years, I have developed a few tricks for always having a bag packed and prepared with everything I could ever need in a day.

Here are five things every Montreal university girl needs to carry around in her bag:

1. Some portable snacks

Making a full-on lunch is not always an option.  It takes time, and can sometimes be an annoying interruption to our busy schedule.  That being said, campus food prices can be equally annoying. Instead, pack some snacks that aren’t too messy and that you can easily munch on during break or on the bus. Try some fruit like an apple or a banana, a few granola bars and maybe a bag of veggies. Minimal prep required and they’ll tide you over until you have time to make a real meal.  I also always carry around a small plastic bag filled with tea bags.  

2. Cash

Oftentimes, the purchases you make day-to-day on campus are small—sometimes a few papers to print, some gum, most likely a cup of coffee and sometimes a bit of food. Using your plastic for tiny purchases can waste some precious time, especially when you have to dig out your wallet at the bottom of your bag.  Instead, carry a small hand pouch with a bit of cash.  Not only will you save time, but you will be more aware of what you are spending in a day.

3. Business Cards

Although we mostly tend to go to school for class and then flee asap, campus is a great place to meet people with similar interests and mentors who could eventually help you out in your industry of choice.  If you have any InDesign-savvy friends, ask them to whip you up a batch of business cards. You can hand them out at seminars, talks, cocktail hours or anywhere where an interesting opportunity or project sparks your interest.  University is a prime time for networking.

4. A small toiletry bag

This small bag can be your saviour on a particularly long day.  Now while you may decide to include some makeup or perfume, this little bag can also be filled with things like chewing gum, some nice-smelling lotion, some tissues—anything that will help you freshen up halfway through your long, busy day.

5. A reusable water bottle 

It is so easy to get dehydrated during a long school day.  Water fountains are few and far between at Concordia, and buying a bottle of water is never ideal, in terms of cost and the environmental repercussions.  Get yourself a nice glass or metal reusable bottle that will be your partner in crime during those long study sessions.  Dehydration can hinder your ability to concentrate, make you feel tired and give you a headache—never a good thing during midterms.

I'm Dani- a 21-year-old journalism and film student from Montreal. I have an insatiable curiosity and a deep love for movies, coffee, running and BBC docs. I am interested in all things society, life, human rights and health.
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.