5 Reasons Big Cities Are Better Than Small Cities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

Small and big cities have a lot to offer. Most people like and feel comfortable staying at home with their parents in small towns. While others like to live in a big city, working at their dream company or having new adventures. Personally, moving to a big city like Montreal was one of the best decisions of my life. Here are five reasons big cities are better than small cities. 

More Job Opportunities

It shouldn’t come as a surprise that there are more and often better job opportunities in big cities than small towns. Jobs are something that we care a lot about, as they help us achieve financial growth and success in our careers. While there are fewer big cities in Canada, the jobs available there offer higher salaries and an advanced working environment. Most top companies like L’Oréal, Dynamite, Aldo, Bell Canada and Air Canada have headquarters in big cities like Toronto and Montreal. There are a variety of jobs offered in big cities and people from all backgrounds, especially in business, are likely to land their dream jobs.

Better Lifestyle

It is a well-known fact that big cities offer a better and high-quality lifestyle than small cities. Despite the cost of living is higher in big cities, one can achieve a better overall lifestyle. For example: the public transportation in big cities is well developed and structured, allowing people to commute and travel around the city easily. The transportation system in smaller cities is less advance and can cause a lot of inconvenience and trouble for people, especially in the winter. 

I can say from personal experience that transportation systems in big cities are way better and advanced. When I first moved to Canada, I lived in a small city in Northern Ontario. The winters there were brutal and commuting to school was a hassle for me every day. I remember waiting at the bus stop for hours, as the buses were delayed due to extreme snowfall or snowstorms. Now that I have moved to Montreal, my life has become so much easier. I don’t have to worry about any delays, as I can get around the city quite easily by metro.

Top Quality Restaurants

I am sure most people will agree with me when I say that big cities have better restaurants than small cities. When I lived in Windsor, Ontario, I didn’t have many options for restaurants or places to eat. A very common fact about small cities is that because there are limited options, most of your friends or schoolmates will end up at the same restaurants. 

Since there are limited options in smaller cities, people are prone to get bored of eating at the same places. Ever since I moved to Montreal, I have been loving trying food at new places. Montreal has beautiful, fancy and luxurious dining with amazing rooftop views. As a student, I can’t always eat at expensive places, but this also city has many great places with relatively cheap prices. The best part about living in a big city is that there are a variety of cheap and expensive restaurants available with great food. 

More Entertainment

This is another well-known fact that in big cities, there are more entertainment events. In Montreal and Toronto, there are many concerts, theatre shows, film festivals, and winter festivals. Most events are cheap and fun at the same time. One can go with their friends or co-workers to attend and enjoy concerts and festivals here. This is what makes it less boring and more fun to live in a big city. 

More Academic Events

Most people may not know or have realized that bigger cities host more professional and career-related events. I have attended amazing events, met great people, tried new things and gained memorable experiences. Commerce and Creativity Conference C2  Montreal is the best event I have attended in my life. I got to learn about the many new innovations and ideas in business, engage in meaningful discussions and conversations and meet many like-minded individuals in just one day. When I was living in Windsor, I attended a few events and festivals, which were fun. However, I was able to gain an academically enriching experiences only in Montreal.

Even though smaller cities have less traffic and chaos, bigger cities offer better opportunities. I can say from personal experience, as my life changed, as I got to attend new events, festivals, try new restaurants, meet amazing people and achieve a better lifestyle after moving to Montreal.

Yashaswi Vig

Concordia CA '21

Yashaswi is currently a student at Concordia University. She moved to Canada at the age of 14 to Ontario, started off her University in Nova Scotia and is currently living in Montreal. She is very adventurous and loves to travel!
Kheyra King

Concordia CA '21

Kheyra King is a Montreal-born city girl studying English Literature at Concordia University. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Concordia and the Vice President of Recruitment of Delta Phi Epsilon. She loves coffee dates, traveling and pasta. You will definitely catch her studying at the local Starbucks or Webster Library.