You’re Not In This Alone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

College can be rough. We all know that. With homework, projects, extracurricular activities, and sometimes part-time jobs– it can all be a little too much. For some people it can be rough as well because they are far away from home or they feel like they have no one to talk to– but you do. Columbia has some great resources you could use if you ever feel like it is all becoming overwhelming.

Columbia College Counseling Services

Columbia’s Counseling Services is in the South Plymouth building (731 South Plymouth Ct.). Every enrolled student gets up to ten individual counseling sessions per academic year. Group therapy sessions are unlimited. The counselors are able to help students with things like: sadness, mood swings, fearfulness, thoughts of harming yourself or others, poor concentration, overwhelming feelings, recent loss of a loved one or significant other, troubled or abusive relationships, feelings of anxiety, nervousness or tension, poor body image, difficulty adjusting to college life, feelings of low self-esteem, substance abuse, or low self-confidence.

There are also a lot of outside resources that you could reach out to such as:

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

HelpGuide

ULifeline

The Trevor Project

And don’t forget, you have your friends and family who are by your side no matter what. Nobody should have to go through anything alone–especially in college. 

Mariah Craddick hails from the city of Atlanta and is currently a magazine journalism major at Columbia College of Chicago. Though she has a wide range of interests, her concentration and focus lies in fashion, art and entertainment. In addition to writing for HC, Mariah is also a contributing writer for the online lifestyle magazine GlossMagazineOnline. Upon graduation in 2013, Mariah hopes to pursue a career in magazine journalism and maybe even law school.