This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

My summers used to consist of packing up two enormous duffel bags and heading off to my beloved overnight camp in northern Wisconsin for two months. I was barely home before school started again in the fall. However, 4 years ago, I ended my camping career and tried out summer life at home. At first, it was rough. I longed to be with the rest of my camp friends and felt like I was missing out on all of the amazing activities that one could partake in at camp. But slowly, each summer, it got easier to be at home during the summer months. 

My summers now consist of summer school (ew) and working (ew); but alas, they also consist of music festivals. There are those few who travel from show to show throughout the year, like my older sister for example. However, in order to save money and since I’m not a hardcore festival goer, I save my experiences for the summer months. 

Lollapalooza is Chicago’s biggest music festival and I experienced it for the first time last year. I have to say, it was possibly the best weekend of my life. Rocking out to Skrillex, seeing Coldplay under the city skyline, and most memorably ending the 3-day music fest with an indescribable performance by Deadmau5 while getting completely soaked in a windy city downpour; it was simply amazing. 

Needless to say, my friends and I were nothing but ecstatic when this year’s “Lolla” line-up was released. Red Hot Chilli Peppers, one of my favorite bands, is a headliner and the Perry’s tent (where all of the electronic and dubstep performers are set up) is sure to be a wild time. 

I will also be heading to North Coast, a smaller but just as amazing music festival that takes place at Union Park in Chicago. 

Music festivals are a great way to celebrate the warmth, free-spirit mentality and fun that summer is sure to bring. So grab a group of friends, break into your piggy bank and snatch up a ticket before it’s too late. You won’t regret it. 

Katy Krantz is a junior at Columbia College Chicago where she majors in fashion business and minors in journalism. Her biggest passion in life is fashion and hopes to someday work in the magazine industry as fashion director, and ultimately an editor-and-chief. Katy unfortunately is an avid shopper and also works at Topshop on Michigan ave...you do the math. The greatest joy she gets out of life is spending time with her family, friends, and her two dogs, Bogey, a west highland terrier, and Ollie a black lab. 
Mariah Craddick hails from the city of Atlanta and is currently a magazine journalism major at Columbia College of Chicago. Though she has a wide range of interests, her concentration and focus lies in fashion, art and entertainment. In addition to writing for HC, Mariah is also a contributing writer for the online lifestyle magazine GlossMagazineOnline. Upon graduation in 2013, Mariah hopes to pursue a career in magazine journalism and maybe even law school.