Meet “Harmonious Dynasty”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

Many bands perform specific music with set genres and target audiences but student band Harmonious Dynasty’s main goal is to jam. Their musical diversity sets them apart from any other band at Columbia. Their music varies from jazz, gospel, Latin, soul, and “old school.” They can even mesh two genre’s together and create a new sound.

“We play what the audience calls for,” says Moses Hall. “If the audience calls for a Motown feel, we play it.”

Nathaniel (Nate) (guitar), Chris (drum), and Moses (piano/bass) were in a previous band their freshman year at Columbia. Due to financial reasons they had to leave the school. Two years ago they formed Harmonious Dynasty by adding guitarist Erik Hunter.

“We met by accident; It was like a free jam session,” said Chris, “The first song we played together was ‘Say Yes’ by Floetry.”

The first event they ever performed was at Columbia College’s open mic talent show “Big Mouth.”

“From then on we had the opportunity to perform at various shows and collaborate with other artists in Chicago,” says Moses.

After the band members graduate they’re on to bigger and better things.

“We’re trying to figure out who we are as artists. Hopefully, by the time we graduate, we’ll have things in order in terms of music, artists, perfecting our craft and performing on stage.”

Harmonious Dynasty has had members come and go.

“We’ve had struggle, we’ve had disagreements, but in the end we’re all brothers,” says Nate. “We can have a disagreement in rehearsal, but the minute we step out of the doors of rehearsal we can laugh and crack jokes.”

Mariah Craddick hails from the city of Atlanta and is currently a magazine journalism major at Columbia College of Chicago. Though she has a wide range of interests, her concentration and focus lies in fashion, art and entertainment. In addition to writing for HC, Mariah is also a contributing writer for the online lifestyle magazine GlossMagazineOnline. Upon graduation in 2013, Mariah hopes to pursue a career in magazine journalism and maybe even law school.