Inspiration from Mandela

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

Recently, I’ve been reading “Long Walk to Freedom: The Autobiography of Nelson Mandela,” which is a phenomenal and eye-opening read.  It doesn’t invoke self-pity of any kind like one might think but helps readers to dissect the root of hate, racial tensions and a life many in this generation couldn’t fathom. 

I am in awe of his unwavering diligence and persistence to earn an education. In a dirt-floor shack with no heating or running water, Mandela thrived in the classroom. He sacrificed meals to buy candles so he could study late at night. His ambition kept his hopes up during his various trials and legal battles but most of all, it acted as his strength during 27 years in jail. Despite brutal conditions and inhumane treatment, his optimistic attitude sustained him and other leaders of the African National Congress who were imprisoned. 

As I near graduation, I reflect on my life and I’m filled with overwhelming joy. Despite the imperfections, I was able to complete my education in a nation where my passion, creativity and work was not judged by the color of my skin.

His story makes me feel obligated to push myself even in the most critical and complicated situations. It gives me the ammunition to accomplish more than my own and seek to improve the lives of others. 

I’ve decided in the future to attend graduate school for International Relations and Urban Development because there lies my heart. I want to devote my life to the struggles of everyday ordinary people. 

Mandela exemplifies “a blessing delayed is not denied.” Along with the resistance of Africans, unions, hardworking organizations and dedicated leaders, the apartheid regime collapsed after a three-century rule. 

A life fighting for others is not for the money because no paycheck can compensate the emotional toll, but a victory for the people is invaluable. 

Photo credit:  borders.com

Mariah Craddick hails from the city of Atlanta and is currently a magazine journalism major at Columbia College of Chicago. Though she has a wide range of interests, her concentration and focus lies in fashion, art and entertainment. In addition to writing for HC, Mariah is also a contributing writer for the online lifestyle magazine GlossMagazineOnline. Upon graduation in 2013, Mariah hopes to pursue a career in magazine journalism and maybe even law school.