This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

I’m the kind of person who falls in love with a television series in a big way. I get completely wrapped up with the characters, story lines, relationships, and just about every other detail that makes it a hit T.V. show. 

When I first started Lost, it was because I had just finished all three seasons of Parks and Recreation and was looking for a new series to plunge into. From the first scene I viewed, I was hooked. Action, love, drama, comedy; it had everything I needed. For about two months I spent every free chance I got watching the show and got my sister equally addicted. We would spend hours gushing over the secret pregnancy that got out, the two love interests who had finally gotten together, and the characters who had been written off the show, resulting in a gruesome and tragic death of course. 

Unfortunately, there does come a time when your favorite television series ends and it feels like your world is crumbling down around you (maybe I’m being a little melodramatic, but still pretty serious). I go on for months at a time searching for a new show to mend my broken heart. One night I resorted to Facebook and asked my friends to suggest new shows to watch. Amongst the many comments was The Walking Dead.

I gave it a try and once again I was hooked instantly. The opening scene of the first episode is of a town that seems to have fallen apart. Cars are smashed up and stacked on top of each other, garbage is scattered across the street and a gas station is abandoned with no working pumps. A single policeman gets out of the one car that still works and goes to explore only to find a little girl clad in a filthy nightgown and bunny slippers. She turns around and is a full-fledged zombie, complete with glazed, white eyes, a drooling and half-ripped open mouth and white, scaly skin. It doesn’t take long before the officer shoots her in the head, blood spewing everywhere. Intense already, right? Again, I got my sister, and this time, one of my best friends hooked and we decided that any show could be fantastic–all you need is the right gripping situation and dynamic cast. 

Just like in Lost, the writers of The Walking Dead– Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore, and Charlie Adlard–wrote in characters that despise each other, love each other, despise each other for loving one another, and so on. The cast tries to come together to fight for survival amongst an apocalypse so large, there seems to be no hope at times. The series is starting back up for season 3 in the fall and I can’t wait to see who lives, who dies, and who becomes “the walking dead.” Until then, I’ll be looking for a new show to become infatuated with.

Katy Krantz is a junior at Columbia College Chicago where she majors in fashion business and minors in journalism. Her biggest passion in life is fashion and hopes to someday work in the magazine industry as fashion director, and ultimately an editor-and-chief. Katy unfortunately is an avid shopper and also works at Topshop on Michigan ave...you do the math. The greatest joy she gets out of life is spending time with her family, friends, and her two dogs, Bogey, a west highland terrier, and Ollie a black lab. 
Mariah Craddick hails from the city of Atlanta and is currently a magazine journalism major at Columbia College of Chicago. Though she has a wide range of interests, her concentration and focus lies in fashion, art and entertainment. In addition to writing for HC, Mariah is also a contributing writer for the online lifestyle magazine GlossMagazineOnline. Upon graduation in 2013, Mariah hopes to pursue a career in magazine journalism and maybe even law school.