Getting to Know the Man Behind the Makeup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

Personal stylist by day and drag-diva superstar by night, Nathaniel Davis, casually known as “Nathan” by co-workers, and “Precious” by close friends (I know what you’re thinking, no relation to the 2009 Oscar winning movie Precious), is taking over the Chicago nightlife scene and spreading like wildfire.

The Omaha, Nebraska, native graduated from Columbia in May 2010 and studied musical theatre, humanities and social science.  The future has big things in store for the bright-eyed beauty, standing at a mere five-foot-two with wavy, dark-brown hair down to his neck and cheekbones higher than Tyra Banks herself, better known as “Precious Jewel.”

Jackson Thomas: Can you describe how you prepare for the transformation from Nathan to Precious and how you get ready to perform for a show?

Precious Jewel: An average night for me, like, I’ll start off for hours in the shower, I will not perform unless I’ve showered!  For example, I could’ve showered earlier in the day and gone out and eaten, but if I’m performing at nine o’clock, I’ll shower again.  Then I’ll sit down and start putting on music, like club music just to get in the zone, normally my hair is all wrapped up in a towel, and I’ll sit in front of my own little vanity mirror.  I’ll set all my brushes out and start to put on my makeup.  It takes me about probably an hour and a half.

JT: That sounds so exciting, I love it!  Can you tell me what it was like performing on stage f or the first time in your drag persona? Were you nervous, scared, excited?

PJ: It was actually an amazing experience!  When I started, okay, now I have to give you the whole back story.  I went to this national coming out day celebration, I saw this drag queen perform Whitney Houston’s “I’m Every Woman,” and I loved it!  All my friends said I should do it, but I couldn’t come up with a name for myself.  One of my friends let me borrow his dress, and I told myself right before I perform I’ll just say what my name is, it’ll come to me, and I’ll know what it is.  When I got to the club where I was going to be
performing, I didn’t even have my music with me, a friend said he was going to bring it, and it was really chaotic.  I was actually getting my makeup done that night, and when I got to the stage door, the person who was introducing me said “What’s your drag name?” and it just hit me: “Precious Jewel.”

JT: How did you come up with it?

PJ: That’s the thing, I didn’t come up with it.  It was so spur of the moment because the funny thing is, when I was a show choir kid in high school I would call other people by that name.  I would go up to them and say “Hi precious jewel.”  It was a nickname/phrase I called my friends, like, “You’re such a precious jewel.”  A lady at my church called me that once too, and it just kind of stuck.  I just loved that she said it, and I felt like it was a self-fulfilling prophecy.  The first time I ever performed, I felt like I was on fire.  I will never forget it in my entire life ever.  When I think about the first time I ever performed, it went by so fast!

JT: What song did you perform to?

PJ: “I’m Every Woman” by Whitney Houston.  First song I ever performed to, and it holds a lot of memories.  I’m like getting goose bumps just thinking about it.  I just remember it being a defining moment.  I  broke the heel on my shoe, and I take that as a good sign.  I always laugh about it since it happened the first time I performed.  I was
dancing that hard you know!  It was an incredible experience.

JT: How does Precious differ from Nathan?

PJ: Most of my friends call me Precious.  I used to think the two were different, but not anymore.  She is a little more cunty than I am, little more vocal and a little more diva.  She’s more outspoken, whereas if there are things that Nathan won’t say, Precious definitely will, and she might clock you a little bit more in the face.

JT: What are some of Precious Jewel’s trademarks, and what is she known for?

PJ: She’s notorious for her 80s style, and they call me “The 80s Diva.”  I look like I walked out of Dynasty.  If you look in my closet, there are big shoulders, 80s wigs and fluff everywhere!

JT: Have you auditioned for season three of RuPaul’s Drag Race?  If you have, what was it like, and if you haven’t, do you plan on it?

PJ: I have actually!  When I heard they were having auditions for the third season, I filled out my application that same day!  The director called me the very next day, and he was like “We really want to you make a video tape.  We got your application, so please make an audition video.”  A week later, I got everything together, sent it in, and now I’m just waiting to hear back from them.  I broke down in tears yesterday because I want it so bad.  It can take my career to the next level, so I’m just waiting and seeing.

JT: What was it like trying to balance a school career and performing?

PJ: Awful!  It was absolutely awful!  It was like the worse thing in the entire world because I would perform late at night, and then I would have class early in morning the next day.  It was just awful! I’m still working on homework if you think about it.

JT: Oh really, how so?

PJ: I’m finishing up my thesis.  Even though it was stressful, education is so important for me, and I’m so glad I finished.  Drag is a career in itself, and in order to do it and be good at it, you have to put all your time and effort into it.  It was so hard balancing both, but I did it.

JT: Last but not least, if Precious Jewel didn’t exist, where do you think you would be right now at this point in your life, and what do you think you’d be doing?

PJ: I wouldn’t be here. She brought me here.  That’s why I moved to Chicago, for Precious Jewel, she helped me take my career to the next level.  I now work professionally, I’m getting paid to do what I love, and I’m happy.  I’m on my way to the top, and there’s a lot more I want to do.  As soon as I wrap up the rest of my school stuff, I’ll be able to put all my focus on her, so watch out for me!

Jackson is a senior magazine journalism major at Columbia College Chicago, class of 2011. Originally from Cleveland, Ohio, Jackson transferred to Columbia during his sophomore year and considers Chicago to be second home. In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Columbia, Jackson also works as the copy chief for The Columbia Chronicle, Columbia's student-run newspaper, and at Echo, Columbia's student-run magazine, as the fact checking/copy chief and online editor. Jackson especially loves writing about the LGBTQ community and hopes to make it one of his specialities sometime in the future. While being a big believer in karma, Jackson always tries to surround himself with positive energy and positive people. A few of Jackson's favorite things: RuPaul's Drag Race, Family Guy, lemon-flavored Arizona iced tea and Chipotle.