Dan Sinker, The Man Behind @MayorEmanuel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

During my J-Term course earlier this year, Covering the Federal Courts with Twitter, the fake Rahm Emanuel Twitter page was mentioned, @MayorEmanuel. No one knew then that the guy behind the tweets was none other than Columbia journalism professor Dan Sinker.

I’ve never taken a course with Sinker, but a class that hasn’t gone by I haven’t heard his name mentioned from students who have taken his Mobile or Online Journalism courses.

Earlier this week Sinker revealed he was responsible for the @MayorEmanuel twitter that parodied the former White House Chief of Staff and Chicago’s mayor-elect, Rahm Emanuel.

The tweets had people trying to figure out for months who was speaking for Emanuel, with potty-tweets as some have said. The College went into uproar with students proud to be at Columbia and even more, Journalism Department students ecstatic to call Sinker their own.

@MayorEmanuel followed no one, but had 41,467 followers and 1,954 tweets and a bio that reads “Your next motherf#cking mayor. Get use to it, a$$holes.”

In fact, most of @MayorEmanuel’s tweets had frequent use of the F-bomb.

On election night, Sinker tweeted, “And now all I can hear is that music, and suddenly everything just fucking…”
At one point, the real Emanuel statedthat if the person behind the account would stop tweeting and deactivate the account, he would donate $5,000 to the charity of their choice.
When Sinker revealed himself, Rahm announced the charity donation offer was still valid.

@MayorEmanuel’s tweets can be found here, http://twitter.com/mayoremanuel
Since the big reveal, from an article found in The Atlantic, Sinker has been incredibly busy, as if he wasn’t already popular! Good job Sinker, good job!

Shardae is a senior journalism major and honor student at Columbia College Chicago, class of 2011. Born and raised on the South Side of Chicago, Shardae considers Lake Michigan and its surrounding land to be her "backyard." In addition to being a Campus Corresponent for HerCampus.com, she's an Assistant Campus Editor for The Chronicle, Columbia's newspaper.  She also writes for Gloss Magazine Online and is also an intern for Special K at 103.5 Kiss FM. Shardae is an avid reader of celebrity gossip blogs, and believes news is just organized gossip. She is also the mother of a one-year-old daughter and would like to show other young women that all the above can be achieved. Shardae is extremely excited about graduation next spring, and plans to wear her cap and gown for an entire 24-hours after the ceremony. Her favorite thing to do is eat and her passion is writing, she hopes to one day work for Food Network magazine.