Campus Celebrity Becca James – “Writing, Teaching And Editing Her Way To The Top”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

Journalists are taught early in their college careers to have passion for what they do if they want to make it in the industry. They must do what they love and love what they do. The journalism field might be constantly changing, but it’s always important to remember that persistence and passion make a professional journalist—regardless if you’re a reporter, writer, intern, photographer, graphic artist, page designer or editor.

Becca James, 21, is a senior journalism major at Columbia College Chicago with a concentration in magazine writing and editing and a minor in professional writing. Prior to attending Columbia her sophomore year, she went to college at the University of Minnesota Duluth and says she’s most passionate about editing because it gives her the opportunity to help others meet their goals. James says she’s never been one to collect bylines and prefers to support other writers in their growth and assist them in becoming increasingly successful in any way she can.

James’ main interests include men’s accessories, magic, music and malts, and she also collects vinyl records and popup books. She looks forward to diving into the Teach For America program soon and is excited that teaching will provide the same joy editing does because she’ll be able to support students’ growth and assist them in achieving personal and academic goals while addressing the larger issue of academic inequality in America. She is a force to be reckoned with in the journalism and education world.

Jackson Thomas: How did you first hear about Columbia?
Becca James: I first heard about Columbia after researching colleges online and attending an open house. Originally, I had planned to transfer from the University of Minnesota Duluth to the University of Minnesota Twin Cities campus in Minneapolis, MN, but I had a hunch Chicago would offer me far more opportunities in journalism. Luckily, after moving eight hours away from home to a city where I knew absolutely no one, my hunch was correct. 

JT: What made you want to attend Columbia?
BJ: I chose to attend Columbia to live out my Ferris Bueller fantasies while hunting down Billy Corgan so we could celebrate our birthday together on St. Patrick’s Day. I was also interested in and impressed by the college’s journalism program and the opportunities the city would afford me.

JT: Can you tell me about Pop ’stache and how you became involved with it? What is your position there, and what can we expect to see in the future from Pop ’stache and yourself?
BJ: Pop ‘stache is a combination of founder Andy Keil’s desire to create a sense of community in Chicago’s music scene paired with my interest and investment in music journalism and editing as the website’s editor-in-chief. Pop ‘stache’s tagline is “Grow Your Music,” and it fits well because we’re growing music and growing a community thanks in large part to an amazing and dedicated staff that makes Pop ‘stache one of the best-looking and enjoyable-to-read websites around. Speaking of growing, in the future, in addition to more reviews and features, you can expect music news on the website, a print photo book highlighting SXSW and a Pop ‘stache Costume Bash on Saturday, April 30, 2011, in honor of Halfaween. It will be similar to our launch party, which was a huge success.

JT: What was the defining factor that made you realize Columbia was the school for you?
BJ:
When I look back at my time spent at Columbia, I realize I was constantly challenged and supported by my professors. As someone who highly values education, that means a lot to me. I also enjoy the overall friendliness of everyone working at the college.

JT: What do you like to do in your free time?
BJ:
In the little free time I have, I like to read (Esquire and The Columbia Chronicle), watch movies in the theater, go record shopping, listen to music (Rush, Cat Stevens, and The Smashing Pumpkins) and spend time with my roommate and pet hedgehog. I also work for Columbia’s alumni publication, DEMO magazine, as an editorial assistant. I thoroughly enjoy my coworkers because each one has a zany sense of humor, and they’re all so Web savvy. I enjoy being able to be more involved with the school and aware of what’s happening on campus on beyond in the college’s alumni community.

JT: Do you plan to go to graduate school and why or why not? What program would you be interested in pursuing and why?
BJ:
I plan to go to graduate school thanks to Hamline University’s partnership with Teach For America. I plan to earn my master’s degree in education as part of track toward possibly becoming a professor in the future.

JT: How many classes are you taking? Can you tell me a little about them and what you may or may not like or about them?
BJ:
I’m currently enrolled in three classes: College Magazine Workshop (Echo), Writing For New Media and my independent study with Dan Sinker, Pop ‘stache: Online Editing. I enjoy Echo because as managing editor I get to motivate the entire staff to produce a final product we can all be proud of. I also appreciate the staff members for being an intelligent and entertaining bunch. The extra work experience is great.

JT: What’s next after Columbia? What is your dream job, and what would you like to do with your degree?
BJ:
For at least two years after I graduate, I will be teaching secondary English language arts in the Twin Cities through Teach For America while earning my master’s degree in education from Hamline University. During that time, I plan to freelance to prepare myself to look for more editing-related jobs, and of course, I will stay involved with Pop ‘stache. Eventually, I would be elated to work for a men’s magazine and/or earn my PhD and become a college professor. Also, I’m still hoping to meet Billy Corgan.

Jackson is a senior magazine journalism major at Columbia College Chicago, class of 2011. Originally from Cleveland, Ohio, Jackson transferred to Columbia during his sophomore year and considers Chicago to be second home. In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Columbia, Jackson also works as the copy chief for The Columbia Chronicle, Columbia's student-run newspaper, and at Echo, Columbia's student-run magazine, as the fact checking/copy chief and online editor. Jackson especially loves writing about the LGBTQ community and hopes to make it one of his specialities sometime in the future. While being a big believer in karma, Jackson always tries to surround himself with positive energy and positive people. A few of Jackson's favorite things: RuPaul's Drag Race, Family Guy, lemon-flavored Arizona iced tea and Chipotle.