Style

Black Friday/Cyber Monday: What You Should Look out For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

With Thanksgiving coming up this week, it means that the time to eat as much food as you can and spend time with family. It also means that Black Friday and Cyber Monday are here for your shopping pleasures. Whether it’s to cross things off of your Christmas list or just to treat yourself before you head back to school, Black Friday and Cyber Monday are great times to be able to purchase items that you’ve been eyeing for a while. Sometimes there’s so much being thrown at us that it’s hard to know what we should buy at these times. Have no fear! Here’s a breakdown of the best things to buy on Black Friday or Cyber Monday.

*Image from Giphy

1. Electronics

From printers to TVs to laptops, electronics are always a steal during Black Friday and Cyber Monday. There’s always great deals when it comes to TVs during the holiday. So if you’re trying to add a new accessory to your laptop to stop going to the library or fill up space in your living room or even want to be extra special this Christmas, then this is the time to do it. Tip: the greatest places I find deals like these are at big stores like Target and Walmart. You also can’t go wrong at Best Buy.

2. Clothes

A lot of retail stores have joined in on the bandwagon of participating hardcore on these kinds of “holidays” – and I am here for it. You are going to find some fantastic deals or discounts like 60% off or BOGO free, so you can buy a lot in bulk. Whether you’re looking to completely step up your game in your closet or stick to clothes as Christmas gift staples, this is a great time to do so. Tips: Stores like Macy’s, Express and retailers similar to are great places to shop throughout the entire weekend, not just on one day or the other.

3. Appliances

This is a great time for appliance shopping. Smoothie blenders, coffee makers and baking appliances galore are great for this time of year. A lot of these types of appliances are going to be marked down to too-good steals that you’re going to want to jump on. So if you need to update your kitchen or want to buy a gift for someone who is, go for it. Tip: The best deals you’re going to find are at expanded retail stores like JC Penney, Target, Macy’s, etc.

4. Jewelry

This is for those who want to splurge a bit. Jewelry is a constant staple that fits for everyone in your life – including yourself. This is a good time to search for jewelry because they’ll be discounted fair enough, but you’re still going to spend it a little bit depending on what you buy. But if is something that you’re on the hunt for a significant other, a parent or need to grow your collection, this is the time to do it.

5. Perfume/Beauty

This one is kind of a toss-up. It’s very rare that you find that these kinds of items go on sale. But sometimes on Black Friday or Cyber Monday, you’ll find that these may go on sale or you’ll find great gift sets for a good price – like a perfume bottle, bag, roller ball and mini size or lotion for a nice discount. So if you want to splurge and just treat yourself or want to gift to someone who loves these things, it’s worth looking into. Tip: Check places like Ulta or Sephora as well as specific brands like MAC in advance if you can, because it will help you out. If you have the time, just head in store. I have found that you’ll most likely find better deals than at least online.

6. Amazon/Miscellaneous

I know this isn’t technically a tangible item, but it’s worth mentioning. Stores like Amazon are great places to search for anything you’ve been on the hunt that may not be found in a store like Target, Walmart or Marshall’s. Some places also have great sales that you might be on the hunt for, but don’t fall on the Black Friday/Cyber Monday days. For example, Bath and Body Works doesn’t have the greatest Black Friday deals, but they have Candle Day – which I look forward to every year. Other places like Victoria’s Secret have deals, but then they have their Semi-Annual sale which is great. So if you’ve got a minute to spare, see if there’s anything out there for you that you may not find anywhere else.

Last tip: a lot of places release their Black Friday sales papers online early. So if you’re someone with intention and just wants to go in, buy what you came for and get out, then looking at sales papers is going to save you a lot of time in advance. Or if you’re someone who is going to get completely overwhelmed by going into a store or think you’re not going to find anything online, just stick to Cyber Monday – you’ll still find great deals. Happy shopping!

Melanie Medrano

Columbia Chicago '21

A music-enthused entertainment journalist who wants to share her voice with the world - one article at a time.
Tory Appel

Columbia Chicago

Hello! My name is Tory Appel and I am a student at Columbia College Chicago studying advertising and photography. I am also working at 101.9 the Mix and 100.3 WSHE as a Promotional Assistant, and I'm loving every minute of it! In my free time I like to take portraits, read, and watch scary movies.