This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

Since spring break is right around the corner (which means Disney trip 2k19 for moi!), I’ve decided to put together some fun little DIYs fit for all Disnerds, Princesses, and children at heart. Adorable Minnie-inspired shoes and a hat to match, and a cute keychain bound to make you crave the enjoyable Mickey treat. These DIYs will help get you in Disney-mode just in time for vacation!

*All photos courtesy of Aley Blanchard

Minnie Ears Hat

What You’ll Need:

– Black faux fur pom poms        – Black baseball cap            – Super glue/glue gun

– Needle and thread (optional)    – Red felt (12” x 9” and 6” x 2”)    – Gems (optional)

Step 1:

Put hat on and mark where you’d like to put the pompoms. Sew pom poms into place. (Make sure to leave enough space for the bow to lean on the pompoms.)

Step 2:

Take large pink/red fabric piece, fold horizontally (P.1), then unfold. Take ends and match to center crease (P.2). Do the same vertically (P.3-4).

Step 3:

Fold smaller pink/red fabric piece into thirds (P.5).

Step 4:    

In center of bow fabric piece, make accordion fold (P.6). Glue folds together on back side.

Step 5:

Put small dot of glue on top of back folds and wrap the small fabric piece around the middle of the bow. Cut off excess fabric (P.7).

Step 6:

Sew/Glue middle of the bow to the hat in the center, making sure the ends of the bow lean upright on the pom poms.

Step 7:

Glue gems on the bow.

Ice Cream Mickey Keychain

What You’ll Need:

– Eyepin            – White and dark brown clay            – Chain

– Popsicle stick        – Clasp                        – Super glueStep 1:

Roll and shape white clay into Mickey Mouse shape (P.1).

Step 2:

Roll out dark brown clay into a thin sheet and wrap around white clay (P.2).

Step 3: (Optional)

Take a knife or marker cap and cut out a “bite” shape on one of the ears (P.3).

Step 4:

Take popsicle stick, cut to desired length, and stick into bottom of ice cream. Take toothpick and insert anywhere on top (this is for the chain).

Step 5:

Take out both popsicle stick and toothpick; bake clay according to instructions.

Step 6:

Put super glue inside holes, then place popsicle stick and chain in holes. Let the glue dry.

Minnie-Inspired Shoes

What You’ll Need:

– White tennis shoes        – Red puffy fabric paint            – Super glue/glue gun

– 2 small red ribbon bows    – Newspaper

Step 1:

Stuff inside of shoes with newspaper.

Step 2:

Mark where you’d like for polka dots. I did 1 cm spacing in between (P.1).

Step 3:

Dab small dots on the marks (P.2). Let paint dry.

Step 4:

Glue bow in the center on the back of both shoes. Feel free to add hidden Mickeys! (P.3)

Aley Blanchard

Columbia Chicago '21

Just a Michigan girl in an Illinois world. Currently a student at Columbia College Chicago, majoring in interior architecture. Go Blue!
Melanie Medrano

Columbia Chicago '21

A music-enthused entertainment journalist who wants to share her voice with the world - one article at a time.