Your Drink Identity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

It’s a Thursday night. Your last class for the week ended at four. After a quick stop at Dodge for a spin on the elliptical and a run to Starbucks for your grande Americano, it’s finally time for the weekend. Your 616 suite turns into quite the girly chaos; Katy Perry’s anthems blasting from your roommate’s iPod speakers, J.Roget champagne as pregame booze of choice, and a frenzy of outfit changes and clothing swaps before your night out. We’ve all been there. And as you strut down Broadway in your heels and mini-skirt towards your favorite campus bar, you’re ready for fun, friends and flirtation. So when you finally reach 110th and have made it to Mel’s and that cute guy from your American Politics lecture finally takes the hint and offers to buy you a drink, what do you choose? How does your drink of choice reflect the type of girl you embody? What’s your true drink identity? As you smile, nod, and lean into the bar to accept his offer, subtly your go-to drink has much to tell…

Vodka Soda: Such a Barnard girl drink. Super low calorie, which is ideal as you attempt to maintain that skinny-girl look but thankfully it’s still strong enough to get you sufficiently drunk. You’ve probably been around the block a few times and this uptown campus scene is not really what you’re into. Barely interested in this guy, you’re just looking for free booze before you cab downtown to Le Bain or the Jane.

Blue Moon Beer: You think you’re a hipster or at least the chillest of chill girls. It’s beer, so you get bro points, right? Think again. Blue Moon means you know what’s good but not what’s necessarily cool in the true beer drinker’s eyes. But, you’re not looking to get smashed so your choice signals, “let’s talk”. You’re probably wearing jeans and still holding your bag and laptop, trudging back from Butler.

Gin and Tonic: Touché. Yes, indeed, the drink of neutrality. You’re into him but you’re not desperate. You’re down to get to know each other but in the end, you’ll probably give him your number and leave him hanging; playing hard to get at its finest. You’re probably a 1020 regular and the last guy you dated was almost definitely a grad student.

Rum and Coke: The life of the party. The perfect combination of hard liquor, sweetness and a bit of masculinity to show you’re on the guy’s level. You don’t take yourself too seriously and you’re not a fan of playing games. You’re at Mels with a bunch of your best girlfriends but you’re always happy to bring hot boys into the equation. Ready to dance and laugh at all of his “funny” jokes, you’ll probably be ordering another on this male prospect.

Vodka Cranberry: Newb. Yes it’s pink, sweet, girly and fun, but let’s face it, this was the well drink we all first ordered that freshman fall weekend at Campo.  Innocent, naive and maybe just a bit too eager to snatch this boy up for a “klassy” makeout in line for the coed bathroom: vodka cran is the sign of a youngster.

So next time you accept that preppy boy’s offer, think twice about what your drink says about you. Like your outfit and demeanor, that booze of choice represents a bit of your character. But then again, let’s not get too carried away. Most importantly, if you like it, get it. Forget the stereotypes and go hard, have fun. 

Giselle Boresta

Columbia Barnard

Giselle, Class of 2014 at Barnard College, is an Economics major with a minor in French. She was born in New York City, grew up in Ridgewood, NJ, and is excited to be back in her true hometown of New York City. She likes the Jersey Shore (the actual beach, not the show) and seeing something crazy in New York every day!