Why you should treat yourself this Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

We spend so much time and effort making other people happy, finding someone to date, pleasing them, and then finding someone else. Our entire lives have suddenly become so focused on loving everyone and everything around us that we don’t pay attention to how important it is for us to love ourselves! What better day to change that than the one day that spells LOVE loud and clear. It’s not just about loving others or your partner; this Valentine’s Day indulge in some self love, because:

1. You deserve to buy yourself a present

You don’t need to feel guilty about going to Victoria’s Secret and buying yourself the cutest thing there. Make the most of it, splurge on yourself!

2. You have the right to forget about the gym and indulge in some chocolate cake

You spend so much time worrying about how you look and caring about everyone else, you forget that you too have the right to sit back and indulge in some yummy treats every so often!

3. You should spend time with your friends and people you love

Valentine’s day isn’t just about your partner, it’s about loving the people and spending time with the people who make you love yourself a little bit more.

4. Decorate your room with your favorite flowers, that aren’t red roses!

There’s this whole stigma about Valentine’s Day and over priced red roses, but go get yourself some beautiful flowers that you enjoy and brighten up your room a little!

5. If you love yourself, people will love you

Loving yourself is the key to attracting people. It’s definitely proven that people find those who love themselves a lot more attractive and confident than those who wallow in self-loathing and pity.