What Your Favorite Library Says about You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Nothing governs the lives of Barnard and Columbia students quite as much as the library.  Ever considered what your study spot of choice says about you?  Well, wonder no more.

1.     Columbia Law Library

If you go to the Columbia Law School library as an undergrad, you’re probably one of two types of people:

A)   You’re a pre-law student who feels inspired by the presence of real lawyers-in-training.

B)   You’ve seen Legally Blonde about a million times and enjoy getting weird looks from law students as you camp out with your bright pink laptop case and matching book bag.

**Note: These two types of people are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

2.     SIPA

First things first, seasonal depression clearly doesn’t affect you if you’re able to work in the dungeon that is SIPA for extensive periods of time.  You’re probably a history/poli sci/human rights major who enjoys making friends with older, culturally aware, and conveniently attractive grad students.

3.     Avery

A haven for Art History and/or Visual Arts majors. You probably wear a lot of black and use words like “indexicality” and “mimetic representation” in day-to-day-conversations. You’re also probably an extraordinarily resilient human as a result of all those arguments with the librarian about the ridiculously vast number non-circulating books in their collection.

4.     NoCo

You value proximity to good coffee (@Joe).

5.     Butler

Congratulations! You’re the average Barnard/Columbia student™.  Your interests may be as follows:

A) Staring at your laptop, writing the word “the,” and then getting up for a “quick coffee break” (read as: three-hour gossip session with friends over a cup of sub-par Blue Java coffee)

B) Staring at your laptop, writing the word “the,” and then getting up for a “quick cigarette break” (read as: three-hour discussion about the upcoming presidential race and climate change with friends in front of Butler in thirty-degree weather)

C) Staring at your laptop, writing the word “the,” and then falling asleep at your computer

Najet Fazai

Columbia Barnard