What NOT to be this Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

It’s that time of year again: you’ve been spending more time in Butler than in your own apartment for three weeks, you (barely?) survived Homecoming weekend with some of your dignity left and only a few awkward patches of blue body paint lingering behind, and fall break is definitely getting farther away with each midterm that you take. Time to hole up with all that reading you casually forgot about or maybe curl up in bed to recover? Think again.
Halloween is right around the corner, and you don’t want to get stuck wearing a construction paper creation with heels due to a lack of advanced planning. Your favorite spooky, sparkly, and just the right amount of sexy holiday falls on a Wednesday this year, which means that in one week Halloweekend will be upon us! The only thing worse than eating too much candy corn or experiencing a Wonder Woman walk of shame is going out in a totally overdone, slutty-not-sexy costume. Read on for four major Halloweekend costume Don’ts before you shell out $75 for a plastic-y getup at the Ricky’s or head to Victoria’s Secret!

1. Cat/Bunny/Mouse
This is probably the #1 Halloween costume cliché—just don’t do it! It might seem super cute to have your “I’m a mouse…duh!” moment, but skimpy clothes with animal ears is totally unoriginal, plus it’s guaranteed that at least 10 other girls in the room will be wearing a version of the exact same costume. Furry little creatures are adorable as pets, stuffed animals, or children’s storybook characters, not when paired with crazy high heels, fishnets, or a lace corset. Just trust me on this one.

2. Snooki

A little Jersey Shore watching time every once in a while (or every week…Jersday anyone?) is the perfect guilty pleasure TV fix, but that’s where our overly tanned, furry-boots-wearing friend Snooki needs to stay. There is nothing cute about an orange fake tan, crazy Bump Its in your hair, shredded jean shorts, and Uggs as Halloween attire. You don’t want to start the night looking like a hot mess. What does that mean for how you’ll come home later?! This deliberately trashy look needs to be left at home.

3. Prisoner/Convict
Go out dressed like one and you just might become one by the end of the night! Even though donning some mug-shot-ready stripes and whipping out a pair of handcuffs might seem like a good idea, it will only encourage you to act completely crazy and keep demanding pics with the NYPD…probably not the best company for a typical night out.

4. Sexy _____ (fill in the blank)

Whether it’s a pumpkin, bumblebee, or crayon, some things in life just aren’t meant to be recreated out of skimpy plastic and worn with thigh-high boots. When you’re standing in Ricky’s or Spirit Halloween having a major moment of costume indecision, avoid options that are normal, everyday things with the hemline hiked up 6 inches and a plunging v-neck. What is a slutty clown anyway? Sexy ladybug? What?!

As you plan out your Halloween attire costume party by costume party, aim for looks that are original, fun, and make you look hot without being just another girl in sky-high platforms, fishnets, and pleather. Put down the lingerie and get creative!