What to Do When Your Apartment Still Looks like a Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

It’s that time of year again—three weeks into the semester and you’re starting to settle into your routine and get back into the swing of things. Classes have started. Work is piling up. If you’re anything like me, your family probably reminds you all the time that your Barnard-owned apartment is the nicest piece of real estate you’ll ever call your own in this city.

Maybe they ask you for a few photos or some details about what they’re sure is a perfect college student model-meets-hipster pad. You take a look around, trying to figure out what to say, and it hits you: that new apartment, new year glow is fading and that grayish-white, four-walled space is starting to look strangely reminiscent of your freshman year abode. What’s a strong, beautiful Barnard woman to do? With these three quick-fix tips, you’ll bring your apartment from drab dorm to sophisticated space in no time at all!

Rearrange Your Furniture
Boring setup with all the furniture pushed against opposite walls, dorm-style, got you down? Try shifting just a few pieces around to drastically change the look of your room! If your sleep or study space just isn’t feeling cozy yet, turn a larger piece of furniture against it to create a more private nook to call your own. Perhaps you don’t have enough wall space for each bed to be tucked into a corner as a more closed off, personal sleeping area; if you have a free-standing closet or tall dresser, turn it against the bed and voila: a headboard is born. Depending on where you’re living, your apartment may not have any common space for eating or hanging out. If your bedroom is large enough, use tall furniture like closets or dressers to cut the room in half to create separate sleeping and hanging out areas. This trick has absolutely saved my roommate and I this semester!

Cover up Ugly Storage Space
It’s amazing how much you can transform your room from messy dorm to sophisticated apartment by simply decoratively covering up your storage spaces. If you have open shelves piled high with food, kitchen supplies, toiletries, or whatever else you’re trying to keep out of the way, buy a cute shower curtain and pop-out extending rod to cover everything up. A shower curtain is often cheaper than regular drapes and there are endless cute, color-coordinated options to choose from. Why display a mountain of miscellaneous belongings when you could play up the colors of your bedspread or accent rug instead?

Make those Plain Walls Interesting

The classic dingy white walls of a dorm can be killer for both your mood and the look of your room, so spruce things up by bringing your personality and style to those walls ASAP! Many apartment hallways tend to be on the dim and cramped side, so try to choose decorations that will brighten things without taking up too much space. Colorful wall decals with a consistent motif are often just the right touch to bring life to your walls. I personally love the look of a New York City skyline poster or decal in black and white with white Christmas lights tacked to the walls up above. Can you say “bright lights, big city”? Welcome to your new, improved, and totally un-dormlike apartment!

Toby Milstein

Columbia Barnard

Hi my name is Toby Milstein and I'm a student at Barnard College at Columbia University!