Life > Academics

Tried and Tested Tips For Slaying Office Hours

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

In academia, professors have a wide range of personalities, from friendly and outgoing to more reserved and quiet. Regardless of their style, building a positive relationship with your professors is crucial for academic achievement. This is especially true on our campus, at Columbia and Barnard, as many professors are involved in research or other projects— connecting with them may help you find a mentor or even opportunities during the summer! A useful way to do this is by visiting them during their office hours. If you’re not sure how to go about it or haven’t connected with them yet, here are some practical tips to enhance your office visits.

Introduction Matters

While your face may be familiar to your instructor, it might take some time for them to remember everyone’s name. Make the process easier by introducing yourself during your office visit. Remind them of your name and the specific class you’re enrolled in, considering that faculty often teach multiple courses in a single semester. 

The introduction may be different from class to class (based on the subject of the class or whether it is a seminar/lecture/lab). In some STEM classes, especially CS classes, most of the office hours in place are with TAs and there may not be as many available with the professor. If this is the case, think about why you need to go to office hours. If you need assistance with an assignment or need to go over a simple concept, approaching the TAs would be the better option. It may be beneficial to talk to those professors about general course material or about yourself, as the TAs are in place to help with the actual coursework. If it is a smaller class, like a seminar, typically the only office hours option you will have is the professors. In these office hours I have personally talked about a lot of different topics (from an assignment to post-grad plans and general conversations about life). 

Some things you could ask in office hours include: how to approach a reading (or readings in general), if they know of other resources related to a topic you are interested in, how to approach an assignment, career advice (or even their journey in academia), or what other classes to take in the department.

In my experience the best way to approach a professor is to talk about an assignment or to ask for clarification on something mentioned in class and then continue the conversation from there! Especially in larger classes, it may help to introduce yourself at the end of a class or beginning and then again in office hours. But what I have learned these past couple of years is that many professors enjoy talking to you about the course or general subject— on the off chance you have a professor that is not responsive, don’t worry, there are many other professors out there!

Be Prepared

Arrive at your professor’s office with all the necessary materials in tow. Bring your laptop/iPad, a notebook, a pen or pencil, or your syllabus— based on what you want to discuss with your professor. It’s advisable to jot down some questions in advance to ensure you cover all your concerns during the visit. Being well-prepared enhances the overall effectiveness of your visit.

TALK About Yourself

Building a strong professor-student relationship requires a degree of personal connection. The more your professors know about you, the better they can understand your background and circumstances. Share details such as how long you’ve been at the institution, your involvement in student groups, and your post-college aspirations. This personal touch is crucial, especially if you ever require a letter of recommendation, as these are most effective when the writer knows you well.

Show Interest in Your Professor

Remember, professors are not just educators; they’re individuals with diverse interests and experiences outside the classroom! Take the opportunity to learn more about them as people. Ask about their journey into academia, their hobbies, and even their sports team preferences. By showing genuine interest in their lives, you make them more familiar and approachable, making future interactions during office hours much more comfortable. Building a relationship with them will help you develop professional connections, get possible research/internship opportunities, and help when you need a reference letter! 

Discuss Your Grades

If you receive a grade that surprises or disappoints you, don’t hesitate to discuss it with your instructor. Schedule an in-person meeting during their office hours to address your concerns. It’s essential to approach this conversation calmly and professionally, waiting until you’ve had time to collect your thoughts if the grade has upset you. Before the meeting, review the graded assignment and instructions thoroughly. Prepare a list of questions and seek advice on how to improve. Taking notes during the meeting and requesting your professor’s input can help ensure clarity and accuracy in your understanding.

Emailing Your Professor

When reaching out to your professor via email, it’s crucial to maintain a respectful and professional tone. Consider the following guidelines:

• Include your full name and UNI.
  • Specify the name of the class you’re enrolled in.
  • Address your professor as “Dear Prof. [Last Name]” rather than using informal language.
  • Be patient, as professors may not always respond immediately.
  • Proofread your emails, especially when composing them on a mobile device.
  • Double-check whether the information you seek is available in the syllabus before contacting your professor.
  • Ensure your email is clear and concise, making it easier for your professor to respond effectively.

By putting these suggestions into practice, you can foster valuable connections with your professors, resulting in a more fruitful and fulfilling academic journey. Cultivating such relationships not only boosts your performance in their courses but also creates opportunities for mentorship and guidance that can positively shape your educational path!

Mahati Shastry

Columbia Barnard '24

Mahati is a junior at Barnard who is excited to experience the wonder that is NYC. She loves reading, writing, and spending time outdoors.