Trend Buzz: Beanies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

As windy, wild snowstorms and freezing temperatures become a permanent part of our existence this NYC winter, it is super important to bundle up on layers, and stay extra warm. While, of course, remaining stylish. Beanies are one of the coolest, and warmest, trends this season. And whether you have an edgy pixie cut or long locks, we’d venture to say that they’re pretty universally flattering. We at her campus are big fans of neutrals, but with this particular trend, there’s so much variety to choose from.

Here are three different beanies and some ideas on how you could wear them this winter season!

Neutrals:

Stick with the basics and wear a beanie of a solid, simple color. Whether it is black, tan, or white, this beanie could basically go with anything in your warm, winter wardrobe. Wear a black beanie in the day or at night with your all black ensemble to get a cool, classic NYC look. Try a tan beanie with your favorite, rugged combat boots and moss cargo jacket when running errands on Broadway! There are loads of possibilities!

Brights:

Try something a bit more daring and opt for a bold, stand-out color in the frigid temperatures. You’ll be sure to make a loud statement as your awesome colored beanie breaks through the misty, winter air! Feeling super down? Try a neon hue of pink, lime green, or yellow. Or be a bit more subtle with a rocking red, perfectly suited to both day and night. Pair it with cool neutrals, and you’re sure to turn heads.

Prints:

No need to limit yourself to solids with this particular trend. Pick a print that speaks to you and go with it! Printed beanies are of infinite possibilities. Animal prints are always a win, though some subtler polka-dots, or geometrics can be pretty cool as well. There is a lot to choose from, but again, balance is key. Pair your beanie with similar, or complimentary color-schemes. Though basic, solid winter items – think classic slouchy-sweaters – will always, always work.

Meredith Coleman

Columbia Barnard

Liana Gergely

Columbia Barnard