Life > Academics

Transfers and Transitions: How to Navigate Being a Transfer Student at Barnumbia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

For many of us transfer students, being accepted to Barnard College was a dream come true. Some hoped to pursue a more rigorous academic program, while others were leaving environments that weren’t conducive to their educational and social growth. 

Regardless of why you transferred colleges, it is almost certain that you’ve felt the stresses and burden that come with being a transfer student. Whether it’s continuously getting mistaken as a first-year student, experiencing loneliness, or battling imposter syndrome, we’ve got your back with tips to survive as a Barnard transfer!

Yes, I’m Just New

When I first transferred to Barnard, it was the spring of my sophomore year, and people always assumed I knew everything based on my class. But for example, when people say “let’s meet at MLC” instead of Milstein Center, it can make things pretty confusing. People probably rarely consider that you don’t know anything about these slang terms, and all we have to do is let them know we’re new! I know it sounds straightforward, but sometimes it is a little awkward to have to ask a first-year student to explain what they are saying, but we transfer students really don’t need to be afraid at all to admit our “rookie-ness” just because we are in a higher class.

The only way we can fill in the gaps and integrate into Barnard/Columbia is to be honest and open, and say “I’m a sophomore/junior but this is my first semester” and trust me, Barnard is full of people who are eager to help you out. Give them a chance to get to know you!

Use Your Resources

Barnard heavily invests in  resources to benefit its students’ well-being — don’t be afraid to use them! Here are some that you can utilize to ease your transition into Barnard:

1. The commuter lounge is conveniently located on the first floor of Diana (left of the Barnard Store) and is open to any off-campus transfer student. Use it to microwave food, store your cold drinks in a mini-fridge, make tea with the included kettle, or just rest on the coaches before your next class.
  1. The transfer transition can absolutely take a toll on your mental health. This is your sign to check in with The Rosemary Furman Counseling Center located in Hewitt Hall! Call ahead, make an appointment, and create some time to reflect on all the changes occurring in your life. Remember therapy isn’t just to heal past traumas, it’s to talk through and prevent any future conflict or stress. 
  1. Access Barnard’s Peer Mentorship Program is open to all transfer students, no matter your financial standing. Many transfers are paired with older transfers who have already experienced their first-year at Barnard. My peer mentor helped me join student organizations, access additional resources, and listen to my complaints – I can’t recommend it enough!

Practice Self-Care

Barnumbia’s hustle culture and academic rigor can be difficult to get used to. Now more than ever it is crucial to practice self-care and understand what that may mean to you. Some little ideas to unwind can be cleaning your room, taking a shower, or putting lavender essential oil in your diffuser. For others, self-care may look like a 3-mile run, a walk around Central Park, a delicious meal, skincare, or reading a book. There is no singular way to take care of yourself — all that matters is that you are putting time and effort into your own upkeep. Remember, you can’t pour from an empty cup.

Combat FOMO and Regret

Many of us left friends and support systems behind at our previous institutions. It’s easy to spend lots of time looking at your friends’ Instagram stories, thinking about the memories they are making without you. However, it’s important to remember that we pursued Barnard for a wide range of reasons, but most would agree it was partially to be a part of the New York City community. Enjoy the environment you live in, because it is a blessing to have access to a wide range of cultures, experiences, and people. Though doubt and regret is inevitable, remember why you dreamed of Barnard in the first place, and make your applicant-self proud that you made the most of this opportunity. 

Don’t Forget Your Old Friends

Aside from accepting that you and your friends from your previous institution may have less and less crossover, but as with every graduation and transition you’ve experienced in the past, it doesn’t mean the end of our friendships. It is painful to watch them continue the life you’re familiar with, and it seems they’re still happy without you, but know that they miss you as much as you miss them.

Go and share your new lives with each other, and be curious and care for each other as you once were. Keeping in close contact with your former friends will help you find some familiarity and stability in the midst of all the strangeness and newness, and you may be able to get through the loneliest times because of them. Also, if possible, look for opportunities to meet up with them, whether it’s going back to visit them at your previous school or inviting them to come to New York for a holiday. Make new face-to-face memories with them and don’t lose each other in your new life.

Enjoy Your Time Alone

One of the best things about NYC is that it has an endless amount of new things waiting to be explored, and because it’s diverse enough, you can always find communities and places that interest you. Win a Broadway lottery ticket to watch a musical, take a walk all the way from campus to downtown along the Hudson river, browse a bookstore, or spend a whole day at a museum! If you haven’t made any new friends yet, then all these places can be great choices to enjoy alone. Or if you want to meet a new acquaintance to experience and explore New York together, the same spots could not be more appropriate. All in all, may you enjoy getting lost and having fun in this dazzling city.

Barnard has a fairly high percentage of transfer students, and we’ve all experienced the same confusion and loneliness at one time or another. However, we can promise you that your life here will be better sooner than you think. When you are feeling self-doubt and hardship, don’t forget that you chose Barnard for a very specific reason, and trust that you’ll find what you’re looking for. Welcome to Barnard – you’re superb!

Martina Liu

Columbia Barnard '25

Martina is a student at Barnard College. Her passions for both travel and cinema represent her dual approach to understanding the world, with a hope to visit every country in the world someday. She is excited to explore new experiences in writing with Her Campus.
Nicole Sandrik-Arzadi

Columbia Barnard '26

Nicole Sandrik-Arzadi is a Political Science student at Barnard College of Columbia University. When not writing for Her Campus or the Columbia Spectator, she enjoys pageantry and previously was Teen Miss New York. She aspires to be an attorney, primarily focused on international human rights. Interested in all things fashion, dance, and politics, Nicole is excited to join the Her Campus community as a staff writer!