Style

These Hairbands Are Really Cute, IDK What Else to Tell You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

There’s never a day when I don’t have a hairband on my wrist, and I know I’m not alone in this. It’s one of those automatic things I do. It’s never been stylish, or exciting—it’s always been purely functional. The other day, however, I stumbled upon an Instagram account that elevated hair bands in the most fashionable, inventive and exciting way. Face alight, I set out to make my own (they were, of course, sold out on her shop, because they’re so fucking cute). After wearing and using them for a week, I am here to share my thoughts.

The premise is simple: Get some of those clear spiral hair bands that are all the rage right now (I know that I have at least two of these on my wrist at all times—I love them), some gold jump rings (I got 10mm ones from amazon for very cheap) and any beads your heart desires. I went with mostly fruit because it feels ~ cute ~ and ~ summery ~. To make these hair bands, I used a pair of pliers to open the jump ring and hooked the bead on the jump ring and the jump ring on the hair band before closing the jump ring with the pliers. In all, to make three of them, it took me a little over 30 minutes.

My favorites include this super cute one with grapes and leaves, and this lemon-cherry stunner.

Besides the obvious charm of wearing these bands on your wrist, they also do wonders when it comes to elevating a boring old ponytail. Personally, I always have to put up my hair so I don’t tug at it while I’m doing homework, so having these on hand allows me to get done what I need to but still stay stylish. As you can see, these also look stunning in the hair.

I love finding ways to make the functional stylish. I am still not sure why I was so taken with these bands, but I’ve been having so much fun making, wearing and experimenting with them this past week.

They’re unique, beautiful and totally charming (pun intended)—how could anyone resist?

Ava Ferry

Columbia Barnard '22

A Los Angeles transplant living in New York City, Ava is a freshman at Barnard College of Columbia University (the best college in the world), and she has no idea what she's studying. In her free time, you can find her watching Netflix, wandering around the city with her headphones in, reading Vogue, scream-laughing, and offending old conservatives with her uncouth language.