There’s a song for everything! Alternative VDAY playlists, for the lovers and the haters!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Tired of the classic mushy love song? Here is an awesome playlist of alternative love songs to add a new twist to the hallmark-created holiday, whether you love it or not!

THE SO-INTO-VALENTINE’S DAY PLAYLIST

The Way I Am- Ingrid Michaelson

Not to be confused Eminem’s rap called “The Way I Am,” this song really spreads the warm fuzzies. With lyrics like “I love the way you say good morning”, the generally vibe involves loving someone for the little characteristics that make them distinctly them.

There is a Light and it Never Goes Out- The Smiths

You might recognize this song from the movie 500 Days of Summer. This alternative love song just gets it right.

Hello, I Love You- The Doors

The Doors are a classic rock classic. This love song is a catchy without being mushy

Need You Now- Cut Copy

Nothing says, “I love you” like indie pop that’s as saccharine as a box of candy hearts.  It’s impossible not to dance or nod your head to, even if you are “too cool for that sort of thing.” 

The Only One- The Cure

This is the perfect song to describe that situation where you are definitely not dating, but are exclusively “just hooking up” (and ok, maybe you invited him to brunch at Le Monde when your parents came to visit).   Even The Cure aren’t too weird for love songs, though this one is more focused on the… physical aspects of a relationship (“Oh I love what you do to my head, when you push me upstairs, and pull me to bed”). 

Only You- Joshua Radin

All of Joshua Radin’s songs tend to be particularly lovey-dovey. This has a bit of a reminiscent feel of the 90s for anyone looking to relive the tween years.

8 Days a Week- the Beatles

It’s the Beatles. Enough Said.

Let’s Spend the Night Together- The Rolling Stones

Back in the day songs could be both sexy and subtle, though when the Stones played it on the Ed Sullivan show in the 1960s, he made them change the lyrics to “let’s spend some time together.”

Girlfriend is Better- talking heads

In Talking Head’s seminal concert flick Stop Making Sense, David Byrne dances to a slow song with a lamp.  The lesson here is when in a bind, furniture can make a great dance partner/ Valentines Day Date. 

House of Cards- Radiohead

Thom Yorke stated in an interview that it baffled him that a lot of his fans like to “bang to his music.”  Sorry Thom, but listening to this particular song’s smooth guitar riff and opening line, “I don’t want to be your friend, I just want to be your lover,” I can’t help but want to “bang to your music.” 

Love Love Love- Of Monsters and Men

This song is beautiful. A mix of melodic tunes and emotional harmonies.

Love is All I Got- Feedme and Crystal Fighters

This song is an amazing combination of alternative and electro. These two dub step and alternative bands came together in 2012 to create an eclectic combination of genres that make you want to dance at the same time. 

THE NOT-SO-INTO-VALENTINE’S DAY PLAYLIST

Do all of the pink hearts and cheesy poems make you feel like you want to vomit in the

nearest trashcan? Here is a cleansing playlist that allows you to acknowledge the holiday

in the least mushy, most “love sucks” way possible.

Dickhead- Kate Nash

This song is hilarious. Great for when that one person is just being a complete dickhead

and you just need to accept it and dwell on it, especially when they are “fucking up situations”

I Hate Everyone- Ok Go

The morbid title and depressing lyrics are just a façade. This song has a surprising

lighthearted and catchy beat; especially considering it is about hating pretty much

everything.

Say Yes- Elliot Smith

One of the most depressing break-up songs. For the one who wants to wade in the broken heart.

Post Break Up Sex- The Vaccines

The title says it all.

Abducted- Cults

An indie duo whose vocals are reminiscent of 1960s girl groups.  This song is about the age-old story of a guy breaking a girl’s heart.  The power in Maddie Follin’s voice suggests that she’s goanna be alright. 

I Can Change- LCD Soundsystem

A song for those in tumultuous relationships.  James Murphey switches from singing “I Can Change” to “Never Change, Never Change” … we’ve all been there. 

My Best Friend’s Girl- The Cars

“She’s my best friend’s girl, but she used to be mine.” Ouch. 

Since You’ve Been Gone- Kelly Clarkson

You turned this song on? Now all you have to do is play it really loud and jump up and down while screaming the lyrics.

Rivers and Roads- The Head and the Heart

About the tireless yet potentially impossible trek to be with your loved one, the catch

harmonies and melancholy tone are incredibly soothing. “If you don’t know what to

make of this, then we will not relate”