Anna Schultz-Socks And Laptop In Bed
Anna Schultz-Socks And Laptop In Bed
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

There Is an Imposter Among Us!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Chances are you’ve heard of the new game everyone is playing now: Among Us. 

If not, basically the plot is this: You are on a ship and are secretly either a crewmate or an imposter. The imposter’s goal is to kill people and sabotage the ship, while the crewmates aim to complete their tasks and figure out who the imposter is before everyone is dead. It’s a lot more nuanced than that, but just think of Among Us as the game Mafia on a spaceship.

The game was initially released in 2018, but it started to gain popularity these past weeks after many YouTubers and Twitch streamers started to play it. I first saw the memes on Instagram, then watched PewDiePie play it, and before I knew it, the game quickly took over all of our lives.

I downloaded Among Us just to check it out (much like I downloaded TikTok “just for fun”), but now, I’m addicted. At first, I kept getting murdered or getting caught, but after following the guidance of some serious gamers, I’ve learned the strategies for this game.

I’ve learned how to kill strategically, how to vent skillfully, and most importantly – how to lie properly. In a game completely based on lying, it’s especially fun to play with friends who you know and can read well. Trust goes out the window as discussions are taken over by furious back and forth accusations, saying, “Red sus! No, green! I SAW YELLOW VENT RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!!!”

Among Us is an intense game of murder, deception, and betrayal. There’s the fear of being locked in a room with the imposter. The anxiety of trying to get to the cafeteria while he chases you. The desperation as you try to prove your innocence only to get voted off the ship. What’s not to love? 

After playing for just a few days, this game has also somehow managed to flood my TikTok feed. My For You Page is almost entirely composed of gamers showing off their hilarious Among Us plays and strategies. I’ve seen so many creative usernames, different ways to troll each other, and even wholesome Among Us animations. It’s interesting how this years-old game seemed to blow up overnight.

This weekend, I played Among Us nonstop, staying up until 2 a.m. to game with my friends overseas. I’m actually happy about it because it allowed me to reconnect with some friends that lived far away and people I haven’t spoken to in a while. That’s the great thing about this game! You can play with strangers on a random server or with your friends in a private group. 

So whether you’re bored or want to procrastinate doing homework, play a round of Among Us!

But don’t trust red. Red is always sus.

Angela Tan

Columbia Barnard '24

Angela is a Chinese-American freshman at Barnard, where she wants to major in psychology and minor in education. She loves baking although she's not very good at it and enjoys talking about horror movies, Taylor Swift, and her dog Oreo.