This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Name: Malaya Sadler

School, Year: Columbia College 2018 

Major: Anthropology, concentration in Art History 

Hometown: San Francisco, CA 

What is your most worn accessory and/or article of clothing?

Right now I’m very into with these chestnut Frye ankle boots that I found at a consignment store. They’re pretty different from the rest of my closet, so it’s been an adventure trying them out with everything! They feel so, so well made and have a really satisfying silhouette.  

Where do you like to shop?

Thrift stores! I just started going to No Relation in the East Village, but there are a lot of vintage stores at home that I haunt whenever I get the chance. I also love Aritzia, Zara, Adidas and Reformation!  

Where do you get your fashion inspiration?

I spend a lot of time people watching, so I suppose you could say street style. I pay a lot of attention to runway shows, and since interning at Calvin Klein this semester I’ve been thinking a lot more about dressing minimally for maximum impact. 

How has your style changed since coming to Columbia/Barnard?

Growing up in California I never really needed a cold-weather wardrobe, so over two winters in New York so far I’ve had to learn how to wear heavier knits, what a “good coat” means, and how not to wreck nice shoes in the salt and the slush (just don’t wear nice shoes in the salt!!). There’s also that inevitable embrace of black as the go-to neutral, even though camel will always have my heart. Recently, I’ve also been experimenting a lot more with volumes and silhouettes—I’m loving culottes, shoulder pads, track pants, pajama tops and bottoms.

Leora Herman

Columbia Barnard