This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #4a4f56; -webkit-text-stroke: #4a4f56; background-color: #f1f0f0} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #4a4f56; -webkit-text-stroke: #4a4f56; background-color: #f1f0f0; min-height: 14.0px} span.s1 {font-kerning: none}

Name: Liora Fishman 

School, Year: Barnard 2018

Major: English and Jewish Studies

Hometown: Chappaqua, NY 

What is your most worn accessory and/or article of clothing? 

My blanket scarf! To be completely transparent, I’m not entirely sure whether it’s an extremely large scarf or an appropriately sized throw blanket but I’ve be using it as both for nearly 3 years. My gut tells me it’s a throw blanket. I also may or may not have purchased it from the Home section at TJ Maxx, if that’s any indication. But who knows? I don’t. Anyway It’s basically a second skin, if skin could be plaid and made of felt-like material. 

Where do you like to shop? 

I would say a healthy 100% of my purchases come from TJ Maxx. I quite literally get everything from my off-brand chocolate covered raisins to my Tupper Ware to my formal dresses from there. I have spent more consecutive hours in TJ Maxx than I’ve ever spent in any library or class. I consider my relationship with the department store a glowing example of my innate dedication and enduring commitment to the things I love even though it translates into literally no other parts of my life and does nothing to dissipate my crippling phobia of commitment. But everything is fine. I am fine. 

Where do you get your fashion inspiration? 

My grandmother is a 96 year old socialist who wears velour tracksuits in different shades of pink and gold with Velcro sneakers and graphic tee shirts that say “New York City” in pink sequins. She has platinum blonde hair and talon-like nails that are always haphazardly painted bubblegum pink. She spends her days eating muffins, watching the Steve Harvey Show and throwing shade at everyone around her. She is the original Regina George if Regina George was a Jewish Socialist. She’s not only where I get my style inspiration from but also where I get my work ethic and extremely kind and friendly disposition from. 

How has your style changed since coming to Columbia/Barnard?

Before I came to Barnard I just “liked” Blundstones. Now I’ll probably ask for them to be buried with me in my will. Also clogs! Shout out to my women in clogs. 

But in all seriousness, Barnard has completely shattered and rebuilt my notion of what is beautiful and what isn’t, of what is fashionable and what isn’t. Barnard women are so incredibly stylish – not only because of what they wear but also because of how they carry themselves. My peers have taught me how to find beauty in empowerment instead of empowerment in beauty. I don’t know how tangible that change is, but it’s incredibly valuable and I’ll carry that lesson with me for the rest of my life.

Leora Herman

Columbia Barnard