Stuck in My Head: Kate Nash

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

The classic holiday songs are getting a little played out. At least for me, they are. It’s almost like the second we bite into that turkey on Thanksgiving, radio stations and the general commercial world want to hit us with Santa Claus, jingle bells, and boughs of holly.

Yes, the holiday spirit is lovely, but being inundated with the same songs is not so ideal. 

I was thus very happy to see this Kate Nash song, “Merry Happy.” Judging from its name, it looked like it fit the bill as a holiday song. Come on, “Merry” and “Happy?!” Those words aren’t paired together unless it’s to say,  “Merry Christmas…and Happy Holidays.” So even before I heard the song, I got very excited thinking this was going to be my NEW holiday song. 

What I soon realized was even better…it’s no holiday song at all. It’s simply a catchy, lyrical and very rhythmic song. You’ll see what I mean about it being rhythmic when you hear how staccato and punchy it is. 

It’s actually a song about female independence, pretty cool. She doesn’t need him around…she can even watch a sunset on her own. 

BUT…if you wanted to adapt this surprisingly un-holiday song  and make it one, you can do it. Think: I don’t need a guy to kiss on Midnight of New Year’s Eve.

Creative, I know! 

Enjoy the song regardless of how you want to interpret it. I think you will really like it :)

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN

Happy Holidays and get ready for more great songs in 2012. 

Toby Milstein

Columbia Barnard

Hi my name is Toby Milstein and I'm a student at Barnard College at Columbia University!